Welcome to the New Era of Smarter Food Safety. The world around us is changing rapidly; many believe we will see more changes in the food system over the next 10 years than we have in decades. Foods are being reformulated; there are new foods, new production methods, and new delivery methods; and the system is becoming increasingly digitized.
To keep pace with this evolution, FDA is taking a new approach to food safety, leveraging technology and other tools to create a safer and more digital, traceable food system.
Smarter food safety is about more than just technology. It's also about simpler, more effective, and modern approaches and processes. It's about leadership, creativity, and culture.
Our ultimate goal is to bend the curve of foodborne illness in this country by reducing the number of illnesses.
On July 13, 2020, FDA Commissioner Stephen Hahn announced the New Era of Smarter Food Safety Blueprint, introduced by Deputy Commissioner for Food Policy and Response Frank Yiannas. Watch the video.
Get email updates delivered to your inbox.
New Era Blueprint
This blueprint outlines the approach FDA will take over the next decade to usher in the New Era of Smarter Food Safety.
This document represents achievable goals to enhance traceability, improve predictive analytics, respond more rapidly to outbreaks, address new business models, reduce contamination of food, and foster the development of stronger food safety cultures.
It outlines a partnership between government, industry and public health advocates based on a commitment to create a more modern approach to food safety.
The challenges that have arisen during the COVID-19 pandemic have accelerated the need for actions called for in the blueprint, especially in times of crisis.
New Era News...
- Deputy Commissioner Yiannas’ remarks to the International Association for Food Protection
- Voluntary Pilot Program to Evaluate Alignment of Third-Party Food Safety Standards with FSMA Rules
- Webinar on The First 100 Days:
New Era of Smarter Food Safety October 26, 2020
- Tracking and Tracing of Food
- Import Screening Pilot Unleashes the Power of Data and Leverages Artificial Intelligence
- Text of Commissioner Hahn’s Announcement of the New Era of Smarter Food Safety Blueprint
- Pandemic Challenges Highlight the Importance of the New Era of Smarter Food Safety
- Fireside Chat by Deputy Commissioner Yiannas with GS1 on New Era of Smarter Food Safety?
- Remarks for World Food Safety Day
- A Conversation with Frank Yiannas
- Public Meeting on a New Era of Smarter Food Safety
The New Era of Smarter Food Safety builds on work that FDA has done to implement FSMA, which established science and risk-based protections.
Enhanced traceability and predictive analytics are New Era goals to speed outbreak response and prevention.
If you would like more information about the New Era of Smarter Food Safety, or have relevant information that you would like to share, contact us in the following ways:
For meeting and speaker requests, please include a request form when you contact us.