Vibrio Vulnificus Health Education Kit - Spicy Oyster Soup
16 each - oysters, shucked
1/4 cup - olive oil
1 each - chopped, small onion
1 tablespoon - minced, garlic
2 each - chopped, ribs of celery
1 each - chopped, carrot
2 each - chopped, potatoes
1 quart - water
1 each - 8 oz. can tomato sauce (salsa de el pato)
1 each - chopped, tomato
Salt and pepper to taste
- Purchase oysters from a reputable vendor. Make sure they are completely closed shut. If an oyster shell is open discard.
- Clean oysters thoroughly with water and scrub them with a brush so they are free of sand or dirt.
- Shuck the oysters with a knife and rinse oyster thoroughly with water to clean any sand or dirt.
- Using a one-gallon soup pot, bring oil to the smoking point.
- Add the onions and garlic and cook for 2 minutes.
- Add celery, carrots, and potatoes and continue to cook for 2 more minutes. Stir constantly so the vegetables are infused with flavor, not browned.
- Add the water and the tomato sauce and bring to a boil.
- Add the shucked oysters, season with salt and pepper and simmer until vegetables become fork tender, 10 to 15 minutes.
- Ladle hot soup into 4 bowls and serve hot.
GARNISH: Fried tortilla chips or chopped cilantro and a wedge of lemon.