December 2, 2016
Original Constituent Update
June 14, 2016
The U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) is announcing a series of public workshops about menu labeling to help industry comply with requirements to provide calorie and other nutrition information to consumers. The workshops will address the menu labeling final rule – Nutrition Labeling of Standard Menu Items in Restaurants and Similar Retail Food Establishments. Federal law and FDA regulations require certain chain restaurants and similar retail food establishments to give consumers nutrition information on standard menu items. The compliance date for these requirements is May 5, 2017.
The purpose of these workshops is to further the dialogue with industry about implementation of the menu labeling final rule and provide additional clarity on the requirements. Interested parties will have the opportunity to discuss specific menu labeling questions and concerns directly with FDA subject matter experts through pre-scheduled one-on-one sessions.
College Park, Maryland
July 7-8, 2016 – 8 am to 4:30 pm
Harvey Wiley Building
5001 Campus Drive, College Park, MD
St. Louis, Missouri
September 27-28, 2016 – 8 am to 4:30 pm
Robert A. Young Federal Building
1222 Spruce St., St. Louis, MO
A third meeting will take place in Oakland, California, later in 2016. We will make a separate announcement about the California workshop when the event details have been finalized.
Registration and Meeting Information
Workshop attendees are encouraged to register online to attend the meeting in person. Attendees may also request a one-on-one session with FDA subject matter experts. The number of these sessions is limited, so early registration is recommended to facilitate planning of one-on-one sessions and due to limited seating.
Please note the following important dates:
College Park, MD Meeting – July 7-8, 2016
- 6/30/16 - Deadline to request special accommodation due to a disability
- 6//30/16 - Advance Registration Deadline for Maryland meeting
St. Louis, MO Meeting – September 27-28, 2016
- 9/13/16 - Deadline to request special accommodation due to a disability
- 9/20/16 - Advance Registration Deadline for Missouri meeting
- Final Rule: Nutrition Labeling of Standard Menu Items in Restaurants and Similar Retail Food Establishments
- Guidance for Industry: A Labeling Guide for Restaurants and Retail Establishments Selling Away-From-Home Foods – Part II (Menu Labeling Requirements in Accordance With FDA’s Food Labeling Regulations)