The FDA announces the 12 winners of the food traceability challenge and plans a webinar on September 28, 2021 at which the teams will present their low- or no- cost solutions.
Listen to the latest in FDA's new podcast series on technology and food safety.
Welcome to the New Era of Smarter Food Safety. FDA is taking a new approach to food safety, leveraging technology and other tools and approaches to create a safer and more digital, traceable food system. Our ultimate goal is to bend the curve of foodborne illness in this country by reducing the number of illnesses.
The New Era of Smarter Food Safety blueprint, announced in July 2020, outlines achievable goals to enhance traceability, improve predictive analytics, respond more rapidly to outbreaks, address new business models, reduce contamination of food, and foster the development of stronger food safety cultures
In FDA Voices, Janet Woodcock, M.D., Acting Commissioner of Food and Drugs, and Frank Yiannas, Deputy Commissioner for Food Policy and Response, recognize the significant progress that has been made over the past year.
And FDA, working with partners in the public and private sectors, continues this year to advance goals in each of the four priority areas, called core elements.
Get email updates delivered to your inbox.
Hear from Deputy Commissioner Frank Yiannas
- FDA Voices: One Year Later, the New Era of Smarter Food Safety Blueprint Makes Inroads in FDA’s Public Health Mission July 2021
- Remarks on World Food Safety Day June 2021
- FDA Voices: FDA Seeks Innovative Food Traceability Tools and Opens a Dialogue on Advancing Food Safety with Technology June 2021
- Fireside Chat in the THRIVE Innovation Series February 2021
- FDA Insight Podcast Discussing the New Era of Smarter Food Safety and Its Impact of COVID-19 Response January 2021
- FDA Voices: What FDA’s Foods Program Achieved in 2020 to Protect Consumers and the Food Supply January 2021
- FDA Voices: The FDA Food Safety Modernization Act at 10: Reflecting on Our Progress and the Path Forward January 2021
Announcements, Meetings, and Webinars
- New Era of Smarter Food Safety Summit on E-Commerce: Ensuring the Safety of Foods Ordered Online and Delivered Directly to Consumers October 19-21, 2021
- TechTalk Podcast Episode 2: Whole Genome Sequencing in the New Era of Smarter Food Safety August 2021
- New Era of Smarter Food Safety Select Activities July 2021
- FDA’s Food Traceability Challenge: Looking for Affordable Solutions June 2021
- Retail Food Safety Regulatory Association Collaborative Ribbon Cutting May 2021
- TechTalk Podcast Episode 1: Tech-enabled Traceability in the New Era of Smarter Food Safety April 2021
- FDA Voices: Partnership with Mexico’s Regulators Strengthens Food Safety Protections March 2021
- FDA Voices: Unleashing the Power of FDA Data to Support COVID-19 Vaccine Distribution to Food and Agriculture Workers January 2021
- Voluntary Pilot Program to Evaluate Alignment of Third-Party Food Safety Standards with FSMA Rules November 2020
- Webinar on The First 100 Days of the New Era of Smarter Food Safety October 2020
- Remarks at the International Association for Food Protection 2020 Annual Meeting October 2020
- Tracking and Tracing of Food September 2020
- FDA Voices: Import Screening Pilot Unleashes the Power of Data and Leverages Artificial Intelligence August 2020
- Fireside Chat with GS1 on New Era of Smarter Food Safety July 2020
- Announcement of the New Era of Smarter Food Safety Blueprint July 2020
- Remarks for World Food Safety Day 2020 June 2020
- FDA Voices: Pandemic Challenges Highlight the Importance of the New Era of Smarter Food Safety June 2020
- Conversation with Frank Yiannas on FDA’s Perspective on Food Safety and Availability During and Beyond COVID-19 April 2020
- Public Meeting on a New Era of Smarter Food Safety October 2019
The New Era of Smarter Food Safety builds on work that FDA has done to implement FSMA, which established science and risk-based protections.
Enhanced traceability and predictive analytics are New Era goals to speed outbreak response and prevention.
If you would like more information about the New Era of Smarter Food Safety, or have relevant information that you would like to share, contact us in the following ways:
For meeting and speaker requests, please include a request form when you contact us.