The third installment of FDA’s podcast series on technology and food safety focuses on artificial intelligence and its potential to advance food safety.
On December 9, 2021, FDA released a plan to improve the agency’s ability to identify the sources and causes of foodborne illness outbreaks. The plan was informed by an independent review of the FDA’s capacity to support, participate in, or lead multistate outbreak investigations. On April 13, 2022, FDA held a webinar to explain and answer questions about the plan.
On September 13, 2021, the FDA announced the 12 winners of the food traceability challenge. A video introduced by Deputy FDA Commissioner Frank Yiannas showcases the winners. The winners present their low- or no-cost traceability solutions in a webinar recorded on September 28.
Welcome to the New Era of Smarter Food Safety. FDA is taking a new approach to food safety, leveraging technology and other tools and approaches to create a safer and more digital, traceable food system. Our ultimate goal is to bend the curve of foodborne illness in this country by reducing the number of illnesses.
The New Era of Smarter Food Safety blueprint, announced in July 2020, outlines achievable goals to enhance traceability, improve predictive analytics, respond more rapidly to outbreaks, address new business models, reduce contamination of food, and foster the development of stronger food safety cultures
In FDA Voices, Janet Woodcock, M.D., Acting Commissioner of Food and Drugs, and Frank Yiannas, Deputy Commissioner for Food Policy and Response, recognize the significant progress that has been made over the past year.
And FDA, working with partners in the public and private sectors, continues this year to advance goals in each of the four priority areas, called core elements.
Get email updates delivered to your inbox.
Hear from Deputy Commissioner Frank Yiannas
- FDA Voices: One Year Later, the New Era of Smarter Food Safety Blueprint Makes Inroads in FDA’s Public Health Mission July 2021
- Remarks: World Food Safety Day June 2021
- FDA Voices: FDA Seeks Innovative Food Traceability Tools and Opens a Dialogue on Advancing Food Safety with Technology June 2021
- Fireside Chat: THRIVE Innovation Series February 2021
- FDA Insight Podcast: New Era of Smarter Food Safety and Its Impact of COVID-19 Response January 2021
- FDA Voices: What FDA’s Foods Program Achieved in 2020 to Protect Consumers and the Food Supply January 2021
- FDA Voices: The FDA Food Safety Modernization Act at 10: Reflecting on Our Progress and the Path Forward January 2021
Announcements, Meetings, and Webinars
- Conversations with Experts: Enhancing the Safety of Imported Shrimp Through Regulatory Partnerships May 2022
- FDA and Stop Foodborne Illness Co-Host Food Safety Culture Webinar May 2022
- FDA to Hold Webinar on the Foodborne Outbreak Response Improvement Plan March 2022
- FDA Launches Agricultural Water Assessment Builder to Help Farms Understand Agricultural Water Proposed Rule Requirements March 2022
- TechTalk Podcast Episode 3: Artificial Intelligence in the New Era of Smarter Food Safety March 2022
- Summit: New Era of Smarter Food Safety Summit on E-Commerce: Ensuring the Safety of Foods Ordered Online and Delivered Directly to Consumers October 19-21, 2021
- Announcement: Signing of Domestic Mutual Reliance Agreements with California, Florida, Utah and Wisconsin October 2021
- TechTalk Podcast Episode 2: Whole Genome Sequencing in the New Era of Smarter Food Safety August 2021
- New Era of Smarter Food Safety Select Activities July 2021
- Announcement: FDA’s Food Traceability Challenge - Looking for Affordable Solutions June 2021
- Announcement: Retail Food Safety Regulatory Association Collaborative Ribbon Cutting May 2021
- TechTalk Podcast Episode 1: Tech-enabled Traceability in the New Era of Smarter Food Safety April 2021
- FDA Voices: Partnership with Mexico’s Regulators Strengthens Food Safety Protections March 2021
- FDA Voices: Unleashing the Power of FDA Data to Support COVID-19 Vaccine Distribution to Food and Agriculture Workers January 2021
- Announcement: Voluntary Pilot Program to Evaluate Alignment of Third-Party Food Safety Standards with FSMA Rules November 2020
- Webinar: The First 100 Days of the New Era of Smarter Food Safety October 2020
- Remarks: International Association for Food Protection 2020 Annual Meeting October 2020
- Tracking and Tracing of Food September 2020
- FDA Voices: Import Screening Pilot Unleashes the Power of Data and Leverages Artificial Intelligence August 2020
- Fireside Chat: Chat with GS1 on New Era of Smarter Food Safety July 2020
- Announcement: New Era of Smarter Food Safety Blueprint July 2020
- Remarks: World Food Safety Day 2020 June 2020
- FDA Voices: Pandemic Challenges Highlight the Importance of the New Era of Smarter Food Safety June 2020
- Conversation with Frank Yiannas: FDA’s Perspective on Food Safety and Availability During and Beyond COVID-19 April 2020
- Public Meeting: New Era of Smarter Food Safety October 2019
The New Era of Smarter Food Safety builds on work that FDA has done to implement FSMA, which established science and risk-based protections.
Enhanced traceability and predictive analytics are New Era goals to speed outbreak response and prevention.
If you would like more information about the New Era of Smarter Food Safety, or have relevant information that you would like to share, contact us in the following ways:
For meeting and speaker requests, please include a request form when you contact us.