Outreach and Communication Program works to:
- Improve FDA communication with underserved people; and
- Partner with external stakeholders to identify and reduce health disparities
The Office of Minority Health and Health Equity develops innovative methods to reach diverse communities, and supports implementing FDASIA Section 1138 (2012) to address low literacy by:
- Reviewing FDA communication plans to help ensure public resources are clear, culturally appropriate, and available in other languages as needed.
- Developed the Language Access Plan (2014)—an initiative to identify the needs of people with limited English proficiency and to provide meaningful access to language-assistance services. View the Consumer Update
The Office of Minority Health and Health Equity also encourages stakeholders, such as non-profit organizations and advocacy groups, to collaborate with FDA.
The Office of Minority Health and Health Equity also promotes diversity in the public health workforce and supports community outreach.
- Participates in FDA Fellowship and Pharmacy Experiential Programs
- Works with FDA centers to assist Minority Serving Institutions (MSIs)
- Participates in local community health fairs
- Promotes interest in STEM, education among local minority-serving middle and high schools
Other Resources from FDA
- Consumer Updates
- FDA Voices
- Follow FDA on Social Media
- Subscribe to the FDA Office of Minority Health and Health Equity email updates- select "FDA Office of Minority Health" under "Consumer Health Info"