Let's Explore Careers at the FDA's Center for Veterinary Medicine
The employees at FDA’s Center for Veterinary Medicine perform invaluable work to better the lives of people and animals. Although their work is basically done “behind the scenes,” they touch the lives of people and animals every day by making sure:
- The drugs we give our animals are safe and effective;
- The food we feed our animals is safe; and
- The food we eat ourselves is safe.
STEM (science, technology, engineering and math) Careers at CVM
- Brent is an Animal Scientist. He uses his knowledge about animals to make sure animal drugs and food are safe.
- Renate is a Biologist. She does fish research to help FDA understand how safely feed them and raise them.
- Kithsiri is a Chemist. He does research to make sure food is safe for animals to eat.
- Jenny is a Consumer Safety Officer. She makes sure that animals’ food is made and stored safely.
- Saul is a Microbiologist. He does research to see if animal food is infected with dangerous bacteria.
- Jean is a Statistician. She makes sure the data show that animal drugs work like they are supposed to.
- Kimon is a Toxicologist. He researches chemical contaminants in food that could make animals or people sick.
- Cindy is a Veterinary Medical Officer. She makes sure animal drugs work like they are supposed to.
Here are other STEM Careers at FDA—which ones interest you?
- Chemical Engineer
- Information Technology Specialist
- Medical Officer
- Physical Scientist
- Dental Officer
- Ruminant Nutritionist
- Animal Caretaker
- Bioinformatics Analyst