Dr. Dragan Momcilovic
Veterinary Medical Officer
Office of Surveillance and Compliance
1. Why did you become a veterinarian?
I grew up with animals and wanted to learn how to help them.
2. What made you want to work for CVM?
I liked the uniqueness of CVM’s mission, which includes the intersection of veterinary medicine and public health. Specifically, where protecting the health of animals translates into protecting public health.
3. What is the best thing about being a veterinarian for CVM?
The opportunity to grow at work. For example, following scientific literature and applying the latest science to develop federal regulations and guidance documents.
4. What does the veterinary profession mean to you?
The veterinary profession is a wide field of science and medicine with so many ramifications that touch many other areas (such as human medicine). A medical doctor cares about the health of humans; a veterinarian cares about the health of the entire humanity.
5. What is your most memorable moment as a veterinarian?
Stitching with a single knot a profusely bleeding udder of a high-producing Holstein cow. She was “up and running” in no time.