In 2007, a new law that gave FDA many new authorities and responsibilities to enhance drug safety was enacted. It's called the Food and Drug Administration Amendments Act- sometimes called "FDAAA"- and one of its provisions gave FDA the authority to require a Risk Evaluation and Mitigation Strategy-(REMS) from manufacturers to ensure that the benefits of a drug or biological product outweigh its risks.
A REMs may be required by the FDA as part of the approval of a new product, or for an approved product when new safety information arises. Essentially, a REMS is a safety strategy to manage a known or potential serious risk associated with a medicine and to enable patients to have continued access to such medicines by managing their safe use.
Since medicines are very different from each other, each REMS for each medicine is also different.
This presentation discussed REMS and how they are used to help ensure that the benefits of certain medicines continue to outweigh their risks.
A Brief Overview of Risk Evaluation and Mitigation Strategies (REMS)
Adobe Connect link
FDA Basics Webinar: A Brief Overview of REMS(PDF - 1.2MB)
Download Presentation Slides
- What is the Reportable Food Registry?
- Can FDA ban direct-to-consumer drug advertising?
- What is FDA's budget and what is its impact?
- Fact Sheet: FDA at a Glance
- FDA Basics Webinar on Advice to Dog Owners Whose Pets Take NSAIDS
- How can I find out the status of my FOIA request?
- What does FDA regulate?
- Has Stevia been approved by FDA to be used as a sweetener?
- FDA Basics Webinar: FDA's MedWatch Program: Voluntarily Reporting Problems to the FDA
- What can I do to help ensure I do not receive or take counterfeit medicine?
- Is there lead in lipstick?
- Vaccines for Use During Pregnancy to Protect Young Infants from Disease – FDA Update
- FDA Basics Webinar: Practice the art of sun protection
- FDA Basics Webinar: "Mini-Sentinel," FDA's New Tool for Monitoring the Safety of FDA-Approved Medical Products
- FDA Basics Webinar - April 27, 2015: Drug Trials Snapshots
- FDA Webinar on Prescription Drug Shortages
- When previously recalled products are back on the shelves, how can I be sure that it is okay to buy them?
- What do consumers need to know about the recall of shell eggs?
- What is FDA Basics for Industry?
- FDA Basics Webinar- August 31, 2015: Food Safety: Bad Weather Basics
- July: CBER's Direct Recall Classification Program
- FDA Basics Webinar, June 17, 2013: Biological Products: Part 1
- Is it true that "OTC (Over the Counter)" products can prevent SIDS?
- FDA's Pesticide Program
- Recall Process for FDA-Regulated Products