Epidemiologist Jobs in CDER
As an Epidemiologist, you will:
- Plans and conducts multiple scientific reviews and research studies. Studies are designed for the purpose of identifying and characterizing the risks associated with the use of products regulated by the FDA.
- May participate, coordinate, or lead a multidisciplinary team and serve as principal investigator in research studies. Provides subject matter expertise in the epidemiological analysis and evaluation of information from clinical trials, computerized electronic medical records such as claims and managed care data, observational studies (cohort, case-control studies), and other databases.
- Plans and conducts reviews by employing sound epidemiological principles and methods. Initiates, formulates, plans, and executes research projects pertinent to the assessment of the risks associated to the use of FDA – regulated products. Efforts include specification of research questions; selection of the databases appropriate to the problem; preparation of analysis datasets through data management and computer programming; development of study design and protocols, analysis of data using appropriate statistical and epidemiologic techniques; interpretation of findings and integration of study findings into the regulatory decision making process.
- Applies knowledge of Federal laws and FDA regulations and related guidance for industry including regulations pertaining to the legal and ethical conduct of human subject's research.
- Works independently and in interdisciplinary teams to disseminate regulatory science findings in the forms of unpublished and published reports.
- Maintains contact with professional personnel of government and non-governmental organizations. Presents epidemiologic data at FDA advisory committee meetings and professional meetings and conferences where the subject under consideration is related to the projects assigned to the incumbent. Prepares papers and reports for presentation to professional groups and for publication in professional journals.
Basic requirements for all grades in this position include:
In addition to meeting the specialized experience, applicants must also meet the following basic educational requirement for this position:
Degree: major study in an academic field related to health sciences or allied sciences appropriate to the work of the position.
Grade (Salary) Levels
Federal General Schedule (GS) grade levels at which chemist positions are commonly filled are: GS-12 through 14 at the headquarters level
Epidemiologists are located at HQ (suburban Washington, D.C.) and in facilities throughout the U.S.