Closing Date: July 1, 2022
The Food and Drug Administration (FDA), Center for Veterinary Medicine (CVM), Office of New Animal Drug Evaluation (ONADE), Division of Food Animal Drugs is seeking qualified applicants for the position of Animal Scientist, Veterinary Medical Officer, or Biologist. The Division of Food Animal Drugs evaluates the target animal safety and effectiveness of new animal drugs for food-producing animals. The majority of our work is in pigs, chickens, turkeys, beef cattle, dairy cattle, and fish. Through our independent and collaborative evaluations, we support the Center’s scientific and regulatory goals.
As a member of the Division, you will have a significant impact on the determination of whether an application to market a new animal drug should be approved based on scientific grounds, governing laws and regulations. Specifically, you will:
- Determine the safety and effectiveness of the drug and assesses the adequacy of labeled warnings and directions for use; and
- Consult with FDA chemists, toxicologists, biometricians, animal scientists, veterinarians, and attorneys involved in the science and policy of the drug approval process; and
- Meet with technical and regulatory staff from the pharmaceutical industry to discuss the roadmap to approval, appropriate experimental design in the development of protocols, feedback for on-going studies, and review of submitted data; and
- Meet with regulators from other countries and agencies to collaborate on common regulatory issues.
Applicants should have a degree in the animal sciences, veterinary medicine, (or related fields) and/or a combination of relevant education and experience. We are seeking applicants with:
- Experience in one or more of the following areas is highly desirable: food-producing animal physiology and medicine, reproduction, genetics, nutrition, meat science, or management, and knowledge of emerging technologies; and
- Experience in swine or poultry; and
- Understanding of broad inferences using information from a variety of sources, sometimes limited in nature; and
- Knowledge of experimental design and statistics; and
- Excellent writing and verbal skills; and
- Computer proficiency.
Due to the immensity of its charge, CVM depends upon a diverse and dedicated workforce. We recognize the importance of multi-disciplinary teamwork in reaching superior and timely regulatory decisions therefore we foster an atmosphere where every employee’s contribution is important. New concepts, ideas, and creative approaches to improve current operations and to meet existing and future challenges are encouraged. Our goal is to not only enable our employees to positively impact the Center today, but to prepare our workforce for the demands, responsibilities, and career opportunities of tomorrow. ONADE offers many benefits and operates in a hoteling work environment. Hoteling is an arrangement where employees reserve non-dedicated, non-permanent workspace at the Rockville duty station on an as-needed basis and as required, and telework when not at the Rockville duty station. ONADE provides the basic technology (e.g., laptop, monitors, webcam) needed to effectively work in the Rockville office and in a teleworking location. Hoteling, along with a strong telework program and strong electronic communication and workflow tools, affords employees in ONADE the flexibility to balance work/life demands while contributing to our high performing organization.
This position is located in Rockville, Maryland and is available immediately. The position will be filled through FDA’s Staff Fellowship program. Appointments will be made up for up to two years with potential opportunities for renewal. The salary range is $74,950 to $138,868 based on experience and education. Further information regarding qualification requirements can be found by visiting the following links:
Animal Scientist: Animal Science Series 0487 (opm.gov)
Veterinary Medical Officer: Veterinary Medical Science Series 0701 (opm.gov)
Please submit your letter of interest, resume, and transcripts to: CVMOpportunities@fda.hhs.gov with the subject line of "ONADE Staff Fellow Animal Scientist/VMO/Biologist Position - Working at CVM." Questions may also be directed to the CVM Opportunities mailbox. Applications will be accepted through July 1, 2022.
**Applications will be reviewed, and interviews will be scheduled on a first come, first serve basis.**
Safeguarding human and animal health is what we do. When you join our team, you impact this unique and amazing mission no matter your position. You also join a diverse community of exceptional people who encourage and support everyone to dream, inspire each other, and live our best lives, personally and professionally. When you join CVM, you join an incredible place to work.
The Department of Health and Human Services is an equal opportunity employer with a smoke free environment.
FDA is an equal opportunity employer.