OFFICE OF BLOOD RESEARCH AND REVIEW (OBRR)
CENTER FOR BIOLOGICS EVALUATION AND RESEARCH (CBER)
FOOD AND DRUG ADMINISTRATION (FDA)
DEPARTMENT OF HEALTH AND HUMAN SERVICES (HHS)
The FDA’s Center for Biologics Evaluation and Research (CBER), Office of Blood Research and Review (OBRR) is recruiting to fill a Senior Staff Fellow/Visiting Scientist position to serve as a Principal Investigator in the Laboratory of Pathogen Reduction Research (LPRR).
This is a Principal Investigator opportunity in pathogen reduction of blood and blood components.
RESPONSIBILITIES: The successful candidate will lead laboratory research efforts to develop and evaluate novel pathogen reduction technologies to support and facilitate the safety of the nation’s blood supply. The candidate will have opportunities to contribute to FDA policy and guidance development activities related to blood and blood component safety and to participate in the review of regulatory filings for blood and blood products regulated by OBRR. The selected candidate will be responsible for, but not limited to, the following:
- Establishing and maintaining a laboratory research program focusing on effects of novel pathogen reduction technologies on the quality of blood and blood components.
- Developing new methods and technologies for mitigation of adverse effects of pathogen reduction on the quality of blood and blood components.
- Characterizing how novel approaches to pathogen reduction impact the physiology of blood and blood components, including using new and established models to examine the safety and therapeutic activity of treated components.
- Communicating results and their interpretation to a diverse audience, including FDA scientists, collaborators, and external stakeholders.
BASIC QUALIFICATIONS: This position is multidisciplinary, and applicants will be required to meet one of the following occupational series below.
General Natural Resources Management and Biological Sciences (RG-0401): Degree in Biological sciences, agriculture, natural resource management, chemistry, or related disciplines appropriate to the position. – OR – Combination of education and experience: Courses equivalent to a major, plus appropriate experience or additional education.
Pharmacology (RG-0405): Major in an appropriate biological, medical, veterinary, or physical science, or in pharmacy that included at least 30 semester hours in chemistry and physiology and 12 semester hours in pharmacology.
ADDITIONAL QUALIFICATIONS: Ph.D. in Biochemistry, Pharmacology, Molecular Biology, Immunology, Medical Science, Biological Science, or equivalent doctoral degree (M.D., D.V.M., or Sc.D., etc.) is required. Candidates must have strong collaborative skills, excellent written and oral communication skills, and a clear evidence of leadership potential. Also, knowledge of federal regulations applicable to in vitro diagnostics and biological products is helpful but not required for consideration.
PREFERRED SPECIALIZED EXPERIENCE:
- Demonstrated research experience in hematology and coagulation biology.
- Experience in studying components of human blood such as red blood cells, platelets, and plasma.
- Experience in techniques used for biochemical and physiologic characterization of cellular and acellular blood components.
- Experience with current biochemistry and molecular biology techniques and analytical tools.
FOREIGN EDUCATION: If you are using education completed in foreign colleges or universities to meet the qualification requirements, you must show that the education credentials have been evaluated by a private organization that specializes in interpretation of foreign education programs and such education has been deemed equivalent to that gained in an accredited U.S. education program; or full credit has been given for the courses at a U.S. accredited college or university. For further information, visit the U.S. Department of Education website for Foreign Education Evaluation.
SALARY: Salary is commensurate with education and experience, including an excellent benefits package.
LOCATION: FDA White Oak Campus in Silver Spring, MD
CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT: This position will be filled through the Service Fellowship program, with an initial appointment period followed by opportunities for renewal. Applications will be accepted from all groups of qualified candidates, including U.S. citizens or non-U.S. Citizens holding valid immigration status and work authorization at the FDA. No previous Federal experience is required. Appointment does not confer any entitlement to a position in the competitive service, and during the initial appointment there is no entitlement to Merit Systems Protection Board (MSPB) appeals rights.
- One-year probationary period may be required.
- Official Transcripts are required.
- Background and/or Security investigation required.
- If applicant is an U.S. Citizen, males born on, or after, December 31st, 1959 must be registered with the Selective Service System or have an approved exemption. Visit www.SSS.gov for more info.
- Prohibited financial interest restrictions may apply. For additional information on the prohibited financial interests, please visit the FDA Ethics and Integrity Office website at http://www.fda.gov/AboutFDA/WorkingatFDA/Ethics/default.htm.
- This position is subject to Executive Order 14043, mandating covid-19 vaccination for federal employees.
- Non-US and permanent residents are required to have resided in the United States for a minimum of three of the last five years.
HOW TO APPLY: Submit electronic resume or curriculum vitae with a cover letter containing a brief summary of career interest and scientific accomplishments, a statement of how your education and experience would be applicable to this position, and the names/contact information of three references to CBER Recruitment at CBER.Employment@fda.hhs.gov. Applications and all supporting documentation will be accepted through January 8, 2022. Please reference Job Code: OBRR-22-04-CJP.
ADDITIONAL INFORMATION: For additional information on CBER Careers, please visit:
DEPARTMENT OF HEALTH AND HUMAN SERVICES IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER SMOKE FREE ENVIRONMENT