For Immediate Release
August 18, 2016
Oriental Packing Company
Oriental Packing Co., Inc., Miami, Florida is recalling approximately 377,000 lbs. of the following blended seasoning curry products because it is contaminated with lead. Lead can accumulate in the body over time and can cause serious and sometimes permanent adverse health consequences.
Blue Mountain Brand
- Blue Mountain Country Jamaican Curry Powder,
- Blue Mountain Country Hot Jamaican Curry Powder,
- Blue Mountain Country Hot Jamaican Jerk Curry Seasoning,
Jamaican Choice Brand
- Jamaican Choice Jamaican Curry Powder
- Jamaican Choice Jamaican Hot Curry Powder,
Ocho Rios Brand
- Ocho Rios Jamaica Nice Curry Powder Seasoning
- Ocho Rios Jamaica Nice Spicy Hot Curry Powder Seasoning
- Ocho Rios Spicy Jerk Curry Seasoning
- Ocho Rios Mild Jerk Curry Seasoning
- Ocho Rios Jamaican Style Curry Powder
- Ocho Rios Hot ‘N Spicy Jamaican Style Curry Powder
- Oriental Brand Grade A Jamaican Curry Powder,
- Oriental Brand Grade A Jamaican Curry Powder Hot & Spicy
- Grace Jamaican Style Mild Curry Powder,
- Grace Jamaican Style Hot Curry Powder,
- Grace Caribbean Tradition Curry Powder,
- Grace Caribbean Tradition Hot Curry Powder,
Product was distributed in New York and Florida and was sold through internet sales and retail stores nationwide.
The products can be identified by the label bearing the above names in glass and plastic bottles. The sizes including 2oz, 4oz, 6oz, 8oz, 22oz and 5 lb. Product can be identified by the lot numbers and best before date listed below. This information can be found on the top of the cap.
|HOT/SPICY LOT NUMBERS BEST BEFORE DATE: 11/1/18 through 6/29/19|
|MILD LOT NUMBERS BEST BEFORE DATE: 11/1/18 through 6/29/19|
|HOT/SPICY JERK LOT NUMBER BEST BEFORE DATE: 11/1/18 through 6/29/19|
|MILD JERK LOT NUMBER BEST BEFORE DATE: 11/1/18 through 6/29/19|
The recall was the result of a routine sampling program by the New York State Health Department, which revealed that the finished products contained lead. Oriental Packing Co., Inc. has ceased the production and distribution of the product as FDA and the company continues their investigation as to what caused the problem.
No illnesses have been reported to date.
Consumers are urged to dispose unused product following EPA and/or state and county regulations or return it to the place of purchase for a full refund. Consumers with questions may contact Oriental Packing Company Monday through Friday between the hours of 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. EST at this toll free number 800-809-9793.