Radiation-Emitting Products

Medical Physicist Degree

Policy Guidance Help System logo


900.12(a)(3)(i)(B)(1): Have a master’s degree or higher in a physical science from an accredited institution, with no less than 20 semester hours or equivalent (e.g. 30 quarter hours) of college undergraduate or graduate level physics.


Physical Science means physics, chemistry, radiation science (including medical physics and health physics), and engineering.

Attestation is not acceptable.

When converting semester hours to CME’s, an academic semester hour should be considered equal to 10 class hours and thus 10 continuing education credits. This 10 to 1 ratio is useful when you have to combine academic credit and continuing education units to determine if a requirement is met. However, if the facility can document that it took a different number of class hours than 10 (e.g., 12, 14, etc.) to earn 1 semester hour of credit, then the actual number of class hours should be used in making the conversion.

  1. There are a variety of sub-specialties and corresponding degrees within the physical sciences listed in the definition. Do they all meet the requirements for a physical science degree or only certain ones?
  2. Is a master's degree in Radiologic Technology sufficient to meet the degree requirement?
  3. I have a degree in a physical science obtained at a non-US institution. Is that acceptable toward meeting the requirement?
  4. I have a masters (or higher) degree specifically in physics. Do I still need to document my number of semester hours in physics?


Page Last Updated: 07/25/2014
Note: If you need help accessing information in different file formats, see Instructions for Downloading Viewers and Players.
Language Assistance Available: Español | 繁體中文 | Tiếng Việt | 한국어 | Tagalog | Русский | العربية | Kreyòl Ayisyen | Français | Polski | Português | Italiano | Deutsch | 日本語 | فارسی | English