Name: Maria Luz Fernandez
Position: Professor and Graduate Program Coordinator
Institute and Place
Field of Study
University of Sonora, México
Instituto Politécnico, México
University of Arizona, Tucson, AZ
Professional Honors (last 5 years)
1991-2007: Research Advisory Committee, American Heart Association
1999-2000 & 2008: USDA Review Panel
1997-Present: Fellow, American Heart Association
2002-2005: NIH Special Panel, NCCAM, Bethesda, MD
2008-Present: Provost Commission for Women in Science
2000-Present: Graduate Program Coordinator and member of Graduate Council.
2001-2009: Associate Editor, The Journal of Nutrition
2004-2005 & 2009-2010: Chair, Promotion, Tenure and Appointment (College of Agriculture and Natural Resources)
2009-2011: Faculty Representative, CANR
2006 Teaching Award by CANR
2007 Provost Research Award (University of Connecticut)
National and International invitations to present my research
United States (16), Mexico (9), Argentina (2), Colombia (2), Ecuador (1), Brazil (1), Panama (1), Peru (2), Portugal (1), Germany (1), Finland (1), Spain (1), Australia (1), South Korea (1), UAE (1), Egypt (1)
Publications in the last 3 years from a total of 166
- Ratliff JC, Leite JO, DeOgburn R, Puglisi M, VanHeest J, Fernandez ML. Consuming eggs for breakfast influences plasma glucose and ghrelin, while reducing caloric intake during the next 24 hours in adult men. Nutrition Res. 2010; 30:96-103.
- Floegel A, Kim DO, Chung S-J, Song WO, Fernandez ML, Bruno RS, Koo SK. Chun OK. Development and validation of an algorithm to establish a total antioxidant capacity database of U.S. diet. Intl J. Food Sci Nutr. 2010;61:600-623.
- Leite JO, Fernandez ML. "Should we take HDL levels at its face value?" Am J. Cardiovasc Drugs. 2010;10:1-3.
- Torabian S, Haddad E, Cordero-MacIntyre Z, Tanzam J, Fernandez ML, Sabate J. Long term walnut supplementation without dietary advice induces favorable serum lipid changes in free-living individuals. Eur. J Clin. Nutr. 2010; 1-6.
- Leite JO, Deogburn R, Ratliff J, Su R, Smyth JA, Volek JS, McGrane MM, Dardik A, Fernandez ML. Low-carbohydrate diets reduce lipid accumulation and arterial inflammation in guinea pigs fed a high-cholesterol diet. Atherosclerosis. 2010;209:442-448.
- Volek JS, Ballard KD, Silvestre R, Judelson DA, Quann EE, Forsythe CE, Fernandez ML, Kraemer WJ.Effects of dietary carbohydrate restriction vs low-fat diet on flow-mediated dilation. Metabolism 2009; 58: 1769-1777.
- Al-Sarraj T, Saadi H, Volek JS, Fernandez ML. Metabolic syndrome prevalence, dietary intake and cardiovascular risk profile among overweight and obese adults from the United Arab Emirates. Met Syndr Rel Disord. 2010;8:39-46.
- Ata SM, Vaishnav U, Puglisi M, Wood RJ, Lofgren IE, Volek JS, Fernandez ML. Macronutrient composition and increased physical activity modulate plasma adipokines and appetite hormones during a weight loss intervention. J. Women Health. 2010: 19:139-145.
- Al-Sarraj T, Saadi H, Volek JS, Fernandez ML. Carbohydrate restriction favorably alters lipoprotein metabolism in Emirati subjects classified with the metabolic syndrome. Nutr. Met Cardiovasc. Dis. 2009 (Epub ahead of print)
- Al-Sarraj T, Saadi H, Calle MC, Volek JS, Fernandez ML. Carbohydrate restriction as a first-line dietary intervention therapy effectively reduces the biomarkers of metabolic syndrome in Emirati adults. J. Nutrition. 2009; 139:1667-1676.
- Carr TP, Staneck Krostrand KL, Schelgel VL, Fernandez ML. Stearate-enriched plant sterol esters lower serum LDL cholesterol concentration in normo- and hypercholesterolemic adults. J. Nutr. 2009; 139:1445-1450.
- Fernandez ML, Torres-Gonzalez M. Carbohydrate restriction prevents atherosclerosis by reducing atherogenic lipoproteins and aortic inflammatory cytokines in guinea pigs. 2009 www.athero.org/commentaries.
- Leite JO, DeOgburn R, Ratiliff J, Su R, Volek JS, McGrane MM, Dardik A, Fernandez ML. Low carbohydrate diets disrupt the association between insulin resistance and weight gain. Metabolism 2009: 58:116-1122.
- Ratliff J, Puglisi M, Mutungi G, Volek JS, Fernandez ML. Carbohydrate restriction (with or without additional dietary cholesterol provided by eggs) reduces insulin resistance and plasma leptin without modifying appetite hormones in adult men. Nutr. Res. 2009:29:262-268.
- Leite JO, Vaishnav U, Puglisi M, Fraser H, Trias J, Fernandez ML. A-002 (Varesplabid), a phospholipase A2 inhibitor reduces aterosclerosis in guinea pigs. BMC Cardiovascular Disorders. 2009; 9:7.
- Fernandez ML. The LDL to HDL cholesterol ratio, a more reliable clinical tool than LDL cholesterol to evaluate coronary heart disease risk. The Lipid Spin, 2009; 4:4-6.
- Shrestha S, Ehlers SJ, Lee J-Y, Fernandez ML, Koo SI. Dietary green tea extract lowers plasma and hepatic triglycerides by decreasing the expression of SERBP-1 mRNA and its responsive genes in fructose-fed ovariectomized rats. J. Nutr. 2009; 139:640-645.
- Wood RJ, Fernandez ML. Carbohydrate Restriction versus Low Glycemic Index Diets: which is a better option for the treatment of insulin resistance and the metabolic syndrome? Nutr. Rev. 2009;67:179-183.
- Mutungi G, Waters D, Ratliff J, Puglisi MJ, Clark RM, Volek JS, Fernandez ML. Eggs distinctly modulate plasma carotenoid and lipoprotein subclasses in adult men following a carbohydrate restricted diet. J Nutr Biochem. 2010;21:261-267.
- Volek JS, Phinney SD, Forsythe CE, Quann EE, Wood RJ, Puglisi MJ, Kraemer WJ, Bibus DM, Fernandez ML, Feinman RD. Carbohydrate restriction has a more favorable impact on the metabolic syndrome than a low fat diet. Lipids. 2009; 44:297-309.
Puglisi M, Mutungi G, Brun PJ, McGrane MM, Volek JS, Fernandez ML. Raisins and walking alter appetite hormones and plasma lipids by modifications in lipoprotein metabolism and up-regulation of the LDL Receptor. Metabolism 2009; 58:120-128.
Visloky LM, Pikosky MA, Herron KL, Vega-Lopez S, Gaine PC, Martin WW, Zern TL, Fernandez ML, Rodriguez NR. Habitual consumption of eggs does not alter the beneficial effects of endurance training on plasma lipids and lipoprotein metabolism in untrained men and women. J. Nutr. Biochem 2009;20:26-34.
- Fernandez ML. Marcadores de Inflamación en Enfermedades Cardiovasculares. Medicina y Laboratorio. 2008, 14:1-7
- Puglisi M, Fernandez ML. Modulation of C reactive protein, tumor necrosis-alpha and adiponectin by diet, exercise and weight loss. J Nutr 2008; 138:2293-2296.
Torres-Gonzalez M, Volek JS, Leite JO, Fraser H, Fernandez ML. Carbohydrate restriction reduces lipids and inflammation and prevents atherosclerosis in guinea pigs. J. Arterioscler. Thromb 2008; 15:235-243.
Puglisi M, Vaishnav U, Shrestha S, Torres-Gonzalez M, Wood RJ, Volek JS, Fernandez ML. Raisins and additional walking have distinct effects on plasma lipids and inflammatory cytokines. Lipids Health Dis. 2008; 7:14.
Volek JS, Fernandez ML, Feinman RD, Phinney SD. Dietary carbohydrate restriction induces a unique metabolic state positively affecting atherogenic dyslipidemia, fatty acid partitioning and metabolic syndrome. Progress in Lipid Res. 2008; 47:307-318.
Seip R, Volek JS, Windemuth A, Kocherla M, Fernandez ML, Kraemer WJ, Ruano G. Physiogenomic comparison of human fat loss in response to diets restrictive of carbohydrate or fat. Nutr Metab (Lond) 2008: 5:4
Ratliff J, Mutungi G, Puglisi M, Volek JS, Fernandez ML. Eggs modulate the inflammatory response to carbohydrate restricted diets in overweight men. Nutr. Metab (Lond). 2008: 5:6.
Mutungi G, Ratliff J, Puglisi M, Torres-Gonzalez M, Vaishnav U, Leite JO, Quann E, Volek JS, Fernandez ML. Dietary cholesterol from eggs increases HDL cholesterol in overweight men consuming a carbohydrate restricted diet. J. Nutr. 2008;138:272-276.
Pasiakos Stephan M, Metel JB, West KL, Lofgren IE, Fernandez ML, Koo SI, Rodriguez NR. Effects of a weight loss intervention on resting energy expenditure and substrate oxidation in premenopausal women. Metabolism 2008; 57:458-464
Sharman MJ, Fernandez ML, Zern TL, Allen SS, McMurray DN & Volek JS. Increased aortic inflammation in the guinea pig with dietary-induced atherosclerosis. J, Nutr. Biochem 2008;19:732-738.
Forsythe C, Phinney S, Fernandez ML, Quann EE, Wood RJ, Bibus DM, Kraemer WJ, Feinman RD, Volek JS. Comparison of low fat and low carbohydrate diets on circulating fatty acid composition and markers of inflammation. Lipids 2008;43:65-67.
Torres-Gonzalez M, Leite JO, Volek JS, Contois JH, Fernandez ML. Carbohydrate restriction and dietary cholesterol distinctly affect plasma lipids and lipoprotein subfractions in adult guinea pigs. J. Nutr. Biochem. 2008;19:856-863.
Fernandez ML & Webb D. The LDL to HDL cholesterol ratio as a valuable tool to evaluate coronary heart disease risk. The impact of dietary cholesterol. J. Am. Coll. Nutr. 2008; 27:1-5.
Current Research Support
Effects of a soy, plant sterol containing supplement on cardiovascular disease risk factors in subjects with the metabolic syndrome.
Fellowships; “Diet and Obesity”
California Table Grape Commission
A comprehensive evaluation of the protective effects of grape consumption against dyslipidemias, hypertension, inflammation, oxidative stress & vasoconstriction in male subjects classified with metabolic syndrome
Egg Nutrition Center
Effects of Egg intake on Reverse Cholesterol Transport and Insulin Resistance in Subjects classified with Metabolic Syndrome
National Dairy Council
Beneficial effects of low-fat dairy products on lipoprotein metabolism and inflammation in subjects classified with metabolic syndrome