FDA does not approve cosmetics, although we do approve color additives used in cosmetics. It is the responsibility of cosmetic manufacturers to ensure, before marketing their products, that the products are safe when used as directed in their label or under customary conditions of use.
To learn more, see FDA Authority Over Cosmetics.
- Is there lead in lipstick?
- FDA Basics Webinar on Reporting Adverse Events Related to Cosmetics
- FDA Webinar on Tattoos and Permanent Makeup
- What should I do if I have a serious reaction (side effect) to a cosmetic product?
- How FDA Evaluates Regulated Products: Cosmetics
- Does FDA approve the color additives used in cosmetics? If so, how does FDA determine their safety?
- Are cosmetics approved by FDA?
- Are henna tattoos safe?
- Are all personal care products regulated as cosmetics?