|2005N-0279||Food Labeling; Gluten-Free Labeling of Foods; Public Meeting|
|FDA Comment Number :||EC97|
|Submitter :||Mr. Scott Mandell||Date & Time:||08/19/2005 08:08:45|
|Organization :||Enjoy Life Natural Brands|
|Category :||Food Industry|
| Enjoy Life Natural Brands ('ELNB') is the parent company for Enjoy Life Foods ('Enjoy Life') and Perky's Natural Foods ('Perky's'). Enjoy Life and Perky's offer distinct lines of ready-made foods that are free of gluten and other common allergens (e.g., nuts, eggs, dairy).
ELNB defines 'Gluten-Free' to mean that products under this label are free of gluten-containing ingredients (no: wheat, rye, barley, or oats in pure form or as a substrate for ingredients), and are manufactured in such a way as to minimize the chance for gluten contamination.
ELNB takes the following steps to ensure that Enjoy Life products are safe for consumers requiring a gluten-free diet:
- Ingredients used do not contain gluten (no: wheat, rye, barley, or oats in pure form or as a substrate for ingredients).
- Gluten-Free ingredients procured must meet strict supplier standards as established by ELNB. Standards include, but are not limited to, ensuring that all ingredients do not contain gluten (as defined above), and that ingredients are handled in such a way as to minimize any possible chance of cross-contamination throughout the entire the production process.
- Incoming ingredients that are considered to be ?at at-risk for gluten contamination (ingredients that have been manufactured in a plant that also manufactures gluten-containing foods) are routinely batch tested for gluten.
- Enjoy Life products are made and packaged by the company at its Chicago Headquarters in a dedicated Gluten-Free plant, built especially for this purpose.
ELNB takes the following steps to ensure that Perky's products are safe for consumers requiring a gluten-free diet:
- Ingredients used do not contain gluten (no: wheat, rye, barley, or oats in pure form or as a subsrtate for ingredients).
- As Perky's products are produced in a facility that also manufactures gluten-containing foods, strict manufacturing and sanitation practices are employed to prevent cross contamination (this statement appears on all Perky's packages).
- Each and every batch of Perky's product is tested for gluten prior to packaging.
Feel free to contact me with comments or questions. Thank you for your attention to this important matter.
Scott B. Mandell
President and Co-Founder
Enjoy Life Natural Brands