BLOOD PRODUCTS ADVISORY COMMITTEE
September 10-11, 2008
Topic I: Strategies to Enhance Bacterial Safety of 7 Day Platelets for Transfusion
1. Murphy WG, Foley M, Doherty C, Tierney G, Kinsella A, Salami A, Cadded E, Coakley P. Screening platelet concentrates for bacterial contamination: low numbers of bacteria and slow growth in contaminated units mandate an alternative approach to product safety. Vox Sanguinis 2008; 95: 13-19.
2. Brecher ME, Means N, Jere CS, Health D, Rothenberg S, Stutzman LS. Evaluation of an automated culture system for detecting bacterial contamination of platelets: an analysis with 15 contaminating organisms. Transfusion 2001; 41:477-482.
3. Eder AE, Kennedy JM, Dy BA, Notari EP, Weiss JW, Fang CT, Wagner S, Dodd RY, Benjamin RJ, the American Red Cross Regional Blood Centers. Bacterial screening of apheresis platelets and the residual risk of septic transfusion reactions: the American Red Cross experience (2004-2006). Transfusion 2007; 47:1134-1142.
Topic II: Iron Status in Blood Donors
for Disease Control and Prevention. Recommendations to prevent and control iron
deficiency in the
2. Looker AC, Cogswell ME, Gunter EW. Iron deficiency, United States, 1999–2000. Morb Mortal Wkly Rep. 2002; 51(40):897-9.
Indicators, National Report on Biochemical Indicators of Diet and Nutrition in
4. Beutler E and Waalen J. The definition of anemia: What is the lower limit of normal of the blood hemoglobin concentration? Blood 2006; 107(5): 1747-1750.
5. Bianco C et al. Maintaining iron balance in women blood donors of childbearing age: summary of a workshop. Transfusion 2002; 42: 798-805.
6. Farrugia A. Iron and blood donation: an under-recognized safety issue. Advances in Transfusion Safety (IV) Dev. Biol. Basel, Karger, 2007, vol 127; 137-146.
7. Newman, B. Iron depletion by whole-blood donation harms menstruating females: The current whole-blood-collection paradigm needs to be changed. Transfusion 2006; 46:1667-1681.
GM. Iron balance in the red blood cell donor. Advances in Transfusion Safety
Dev Biol (
9. Magnussen K, Bork N, Asmussen L. The effect of a standardized protocol for iron supplementation to blood donors low in hemoglobin concentration. Transfusion 2008; 48:749-754.
Topic III: Options for Blood Donor Screening and Reentry for Malaria
Leiby DA, Nguyen ML, Notari EP. Impact of donor
deferrals for malaria on blood availability in the
Mungai M, Tegtmeier G, Chamberland M, Parise M. Transfusion-transmitted malaria
3. Kitchen AD, Chiodini PL. Malaria and blood transfusion. Vox Sanguinis 2006; 90:77-84.
4. Elghouzzi MH, Senegas A, Steinmetz T, et al. Multicentric evaluation of the DiaMed enzyme-linked immunosorbent assay malaria antibody test for screening of blood donors for malaria. Vox Sanguinis 2008; 94: 33-40.
Spencer BR, Dedham
MA, Custer B, et al. Low risk for malaria transmission from presenting blood
donors excluded for travel to
6. FDA Workshop on Testing for Malarial Infections in Blood Donors, July 12, 2006, transcripts and presentations: http://www.fda.gov/cber/blood/malaria071206.htm
7. Kumar, Sanjai. Workshop Summary: Testing for Malarial Infections in Blood Donors. Presented to Blood Products Advisory Committee, July 13, 2006.