QUESTIONS FOR FDA SCIENCE BOARD
To assure that steps are initiated to meet Secretary Thompson’s requirement to identify the Department’s role in addressing obesity, as well as the Obesity Working Group Report recommendation to provide for the urgent initiation of a national dialogue concerning obesity, FDA is asking the Science Board to provide responses to the following questions:
Providing Nutrition Information on Food Consumed Away from Home:
1. Are FDA’s proposed questions/issues regarding providing nutrition information in a restaurant setting likely to provide the agency with appropriate information to proceed with a pilot program with the restaurant industry to present useful and useable nutrition information to consumers? If not, what other questions/issues need to be addressed?
2. What kind of evaluation is appropriate to assess the effectiveness of a pilot program to provide nutrition information to consumers in a restaurant setting?
3. As we explore which options to consider when providing nutrition information for customers in a restaurant setting, what advice should we provide the facilitator concerning the basis for evaluating these options?
4. Do you know of any research that would be helpful for a facilitator to assist them in giving the best input to the agency regarding providing nutrition information to consumers for food consumed away from home?
5. In view of the materials you’ve been provided, is there any other advice or information you’d like to provide FDA on this issue?
Pediatric Obesity (Education):
6. Are FDA’s proposed questions/issues likely to provide the agency with information that will help guide the development of obesity education efforts that are simple to understand and apply, and focus on showing consumers how to achieve a specific goal?
7. Do you know of any research that would be helpful for a facilitator to assist them in giving the best input to FDA regarding education to have an impact on pediatric obesity?
8. What other questions should we be asking a facilitator to explore in order to help FDA develop effective educational strategies?
In view of the materials you’ve been provided, is there any other advice or information you’d like to provide FDA on this issue?
II. Critical Path Initiavive