TSEAC Background References
Copyrighted material to be photocopied (with permission):
- Brown, P. The risk of bovine spongiform encephalopathy (‘mad cow disease’) to human health. Journal of the American Medical Association 1997;278(12):1008-1011.
- Collee, J.G. and R. Bradley. BSE: a decade on – part 2. The Lancet 1997;349:715-721.
- Dealler, S.F. and R.W. Lacey. Transmissible spongiform encephalopathies: The threat of BSE to man. Food Microbiology 1990;7:253-279.
- Love, S., C.R. Helps, S. Williams, A. Shand, J.L. McKinstry, S.N. Brown, D.A. Harbour and M.H. Anil. Methods for detection of haematogenous dissemination of brain tissue after stunning of cattle with captive bolt guns. Journal of Neuroscience Methods 2000;99(1-2):53-58.
- Norton, S.A. Raw animal tissues and dietary supplements. New England Journal of Medicine 2000;343:304-305.
- Tan, L., M.A. Williams, M.K. Khan, H.C. Champion and N.H. Nielsen. Risk of transmission of bovine spongiform encephalopathy to humans in the United States. Journal of the American Medical Association 1999;281(24):2330-2339.
- Verdrager, J. Risk of transmission of BSE via drugs of bovine origin. The Lancet 1999;354:1304-1305.
Government documents to be photocopied:
- Food Safety and Inspection Service, U.S. Department of Agriculture. Beef Slaughter and Fabrication (flowchart). October 9, 2001.
Public domain documents to be photocopied and available via internet:
- Brown, P., R. Will, R. Bradley, D. Asher and L. Detwiler. Bovine spongiform encephalopathy and variant Creutzfeldt-Jakob disease: background, evolution, and current concerns. Emerging Infectious Diseases 2001;7(1):6-16.
Document available via internet at: http://www.cdc.gov/ncidod/EID/vol7no1/brown.htm
- Food Safety and Inspection Service, U.S. Department of Agriculture. FSIS Releases Survey of Advanced Meat Recovery Systems. March 1997. Document available via internet at: http://www.fsis.usda.gov/oa/background/amr1.htm
- World Health Organization. Report of a WHO Consultation on Public Health Issues related to Human and Animal Transmissible Spongiform Encephalopathies, With the participation of FAO and OIE, Geneva, Switzerland, April 2-3, 1996. Document available via internet at: