Drug-Induced Liver Toxicity
Drugs sometimes cause serious injuries to the livers of patients, with loss of hepatic function leading to illness, disability, hospitalization, and even life threatening liver failure and death or need for liver transplantation. As our aging world population uses more and more drugs, as well as self-prescribed over-the-counter medications, so-called “dietary supplements,” special diets, alcohol, and is exposed also to environmental chemicals, chances of such injury are rising. In the United States, drug-induced liver injury (DILI) is now the leading cause of acute liver failure (ALF), exceeding all other causes combined [see below: recent graphic data from WM Lee and colleagues from the Acute Liver Failure Study Group, updated to include data through 2012].
This website is intended to present up-to-date presentations and discussions on issues pertinent to DILI, as well as some background information from previous conferences. The site is sponsored by the Food and Drug Administration’s (FDA) Center for Drug Evaluation and Research (CDER), together with the American Association for the Study of Liver Diseases (AASLD), the Drug-Induced Liver Injury Network (DILIN) of the National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases (NIDDK), and Pharmaceutical Research and Manufacturers of America (PhRMA).
If you wish to use any of the material posted at this website, please request permission from any of the authors to do so, and please cite the source of the material giving credit to them.
The 2013 meeting, co-sponsored by FDA, the Critical Path Institute (C-Path) and PhRMA, was held on Wednesday and Thursday, March 20-21, at the Marriott Inn & Conference Center, University of Maryland University College, East Hyattsville, MD. Additional information and registration was available through the C-Path website.
- AASLD-FDA-NIH-PhRMA- Hepatotoxicity Special Interest Group Conference, 2012
- AASLD-FDA-NIH-PhRMA- Hepatotoxicity Special Interest Group Conference, 2011
- AASLD-FDA-NIH-PhRMA- Hepatotoxicity Special Interest Group Conference, 2010
- AASLD-FDA-NIH-PhRMA- Hepatotoxicity Special Interest Group Conference, 2009
- AASLD-FDA-NIH-PhRMA- Hepatotoxicity Special Interest Group Conference, 2008
- AASLD-FDA-NIH-PhRMA- Hepatotoxicity Special Interest Group Conference, 2007
- AASLD-FDA-NIH-PhRMA- Hepatotoxicity Steering Group Meeting, 2006
- FDA-PhRMA-AASLD Hepatotoxicity Steering Committee Meeting, 2005
- Hepatotoxicity Steering Group Meeting, 2004
- Hepatocoxicity Steering Group Meeting, 2003
- Drug-Induced Liver Injury: A National and Global Problem, 2001
- Drug-Induced Liver Injury: Mechanisms and Test Systems. NIH Conference at Lister Hill Center, October 17-18, 2000 (summarized in: Hepatology 2001 Apr;33(4):1009-13)
- CDER Staff College Course: Drugs and the Liver: What They Do to Each Other. April 19-20, 1999. Course agenda (PDF - 82KB)
Report serious adverse events to FDA's MedWatch, using the contact information below.