Many of today’s important medications are biological products, generally derived from living material from humans, animals, or microorganisms. These products treat conditions such as rheumatoid arthritis, anemia, low white blood cell counts, inflammatory bowel disease, and various forms of cancer. Unlike other drugs known as small molecule drugs, biological products are generally highly complex in structure. This webinar is designed to provide an overview of biological products and how they differ from small molecule drugs. Information from this webinar provides helpful background for an enhanced understanding of a future FDA Basics webinar, scheduled for August 19, 2013, on “Biosimilar Biological Products.” Biosimilar biological products or biosimilars are biological products that are similar to or interchangeable with another FDA-approved biological product. In 2010, the Obama Administration passed the Biologics Price Competition Innovation Act, designed to encourage the development of biosimilar biological products which can enhance competition and may lead to better patient access and lower cost to consumers.
Adobe Connect Webinar Information:
- Has Stevia been approved by FDA to be used as a sweetener?
- FDA Basics Webinar: FDA's MedWatch Program: Voluntarily Reporting Problems to the FDA
- What can I do to help ensure I do not receive or take counterfeit medicine?
- Is there lead in lipstick?
- Vaccines for Use During Pregnancy to Protect Young Infants from Disease – FDA Update
- FDA Basics Webinar: Practice the art of sun protection
- FDA Basics Webinar: "Mini-Sentinel," FDA's New Tool for Monitoring the Safety of FDA-Approved Medical Products
- FDA Basics Webinar - April 27, 2015: Drug Trials Snapshots
- FDA Webinar on Prescription Drug Shortages
- When previously recalled products are back on the shelves, how can I be sure that it is okay to buy them?
- What do consumers need to know about the recall of shell eggs?
- What is FDA Basics for Industry?
- FDA Basics Webinar- August 31, 2015: Food Safety: Bad Weather Basics
- July: CBER's Direct Recall Classification Program
- FDA Basics Webinar, June 17, 2013: Biological Products: Part 1
- Is it true that "OTC (Over the Counter)" products can prevent SIDS?
- FDA's Pesticide Program
- Recall Process for FDA-Regulated Products
- Where can I find information about adverse reactions to a medicine prescribed for my child?
- Where can I find information about medicines prescribed for my child?
- FDA Webinar on Protecting Your Child's Health Through Safe and Effective Vaccines
- FDA Webinar on Safety of the Blood Supply
- How did the Federal Food, Drug, and Cosmetic Act come about?
- Materials from Webinar on Access to Investigational Drugs
- How do I find the latest information on the Web site? How do I sign up for e-mails and alerts?