DATE: September 30, 2011
TIME: 11:00 a.m. (ET)
LENGTH: 30 minutes
Do you know that in 2010 there were a record number of shortages of prescription drugs, and that in 2011, FDA continues to see an increasing number of shortages, especially those involving older sterile injectable drugs?
On Friday, September 30th, FDA hosted a webinar that addressed how the agency helps reduce the impact of drug shortages for patients and our nation’s health care system. Captain Valerie Jensen, R.Ph., Associate Director for FDA’s Center for Drug Evaluation and Research’s (CDER’s) Drug Shortage Program, discussed the extent of the current drug shortage issue and the importance of communication among FDA, drug manufacturers, health professionals, and the public, in helping to reduce its impact on public health.
Download Presentation Slides
FDA Basics Webinar on U.S. Drug Shortages (PDF, 165KB)
- FDA Basics Webinar: "Mini-Sentinel," FDA's New Tool for Monitoring the Safety of FDA-Approved Medical Products
- FDA Webinar on Prescription Drug Shortages
- Where can I find information about adverse reactions to a medicine prescribed for my child?
- Where can I find information about medicines prescribed for my child?
- Materials from Webinar on Access to Investigational Drugs
- FDA Webinar on "Bad Ads" Program
- FDA Basics Webinar on Generic Drugs
- What are over-the-counter (OTC) drugs and how are they approved?
- How FDA Evaluates Regulated Products: Drugs
- What is counterfeit medicine?
- How can I stay better informed about drugs? Is there a reliable website FDA recommends?
- What is an FDA Drug Safety Communication?
- How do I discard medicine that I no longer need, do I just throw it in the garbage?
- What are unapproved drugs and why are they on the market?
- How do I report a bad reaction to medicine or medication error to FDA?
- Does FDA approve the proprietary names of prescription drugs?
- What does FDA require drug manufacturers to do to prevent contaminated drugs? If contamination occurs, how must they correct the problem?
- How does FDA help consumers when drug shortages happen?
- Can FDA ban direct-to-consumer drug advertising?
- How does FDA oversee domestic and foreign drug manufacturing?
- Why isn’t a drug taken off the market when a manufacturer gets a Warning Letter?
- What is a Warning Letter?
- How does FDA decide when a drug is not safe enough to stay on the market?
- Does FDA approve the information given out by pharmacies when I pick up my medicine?
- Why do some drug labels get changed so often ?