State, Local, Tribal, and Territorial Governments
The goal of the State, Local, Tribal, and Territorial Governments website section is to increase understanding of: the Family Smoking Prevention and Tobacco Control Act (Tobacco Control Act) and how it may impact your programs tobacco product regulation as a subset of tobacco control FDA's authority as compared to that of your own jurisdictions' laws; as well as provide additional information about what the FDA Center for Tobacco Products does and does not do.
The Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Center for Tobacco Products (CTP) intends to award sole source contracts to Indian Tribes for tobacco retail compliance check inspections.
The following resources should provide State, Local, Tribal, and Territorial governments with information relating to FDA's authorities:
- Engagement with American Indian and Alaska Native Tribal Governments
- Text of the Family Smoking Prevention and Tobacco Control Act
- Overview of the Family Smoking Prevention and Tobacco Control Act (Fact sheet)
- Interactive timeline of the Tobacco Control Act
- Fact sheet on collaboration between SAMHSA's Synar Program and FDA's Tobacco Retail Compliance Inspection Contracts
How to Contact Us
- Center for Tobacco Products Ombudsman
- Report potential violations via email to the CTP Office of Compliance and Enforcement or via phone at 1-877-CTP-1373
Looking for More?
- Visit the Guidance, Compliance & Regulatory Information page for regulatory information on the Tobacco Control Act
- Visit the Tobacco Products Labeling page for information on graphic warning labels for cigarettes and smokeless tobacco products
- Find information on Protecting Kids from Tobacco
- FDA responds to requests for Clarification About Dissolvable Tobacco Products
- Find information on Compliance Training for Tobacco Retailers webinar series
- View results for the Compliance Check Inspections of Tobacco Product Retailers
Get News and Information
- Emails: Our email updates provide latest news and information at FDA Center for Tobacco Products