State, Local, Tribal and Territorial Governments
The goal of the State, Local, Tribal, and Territorial Governments website section is to increase understanding of: the Family Smoking Prevention and Tobacco Control Act (Tobacco Control Act) and how it may impact your programs; tobacco product regulation as a subset of tobacco control; FDA’s authority as compared to that of your own jurisdictions' laws; as well as provide additional information about what the FDA Center for Tobacco Products does and does not do.
The Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Center for Tobacco Products (CTP) intends to award sole source contracts to Indian Tribes for tobacco retail compliance check inspections.
CTP will hold a pre-proposal conference webinar to provide technical assistance on the Tobacco Retailer Inspection Contracts and to review the Request for Proposal (RFP) requirements. The webinar will also provide opportunities to learn about the application process and FDA’s tobacco retail inspection program. CTP invites Tribes and Tribal organizations to participate, provide feedback and ask questions about this funding opportunity and the program in general.
- Dear Tribal Leader Letter (3/13/15) regarding Tobacco Retail Inspection Contracts RFP and Technical Assistance webinar
Date of Webinar:
Date: Thursday, April 16, 2015
Time: 1 – 3 pm EDT
Update: The April 1, 2015 webinar has been cancelled.
The following resources should provide State, Local, Tribal, and Territorial governments with information relating to FDA's authorities:
- Text of the Family Smoking Prevention and Tobacco Control Act
- Overview of the Family Smoking Prevention and Tobacco Control Act (Fact sheet)
- Interactive timeline that provides information on when certain sections of the Tobacco Control Act go into effect
- Dr. Lawrence R. Deyton’s presentation at the 13th Annual National HHS Tribal Budget Formulation and Consultation Session (PDF - 355KB)
- Fact sheet on collaboration between SAMHSA's Synar Program and FDA's Tobacco Retail Compliance Inspection Contracts
- Dear Tribal Leader Letter
- Dear Tribal Leader Letter (5/16/14) regarding CTP Compliance and Enforcement Activities
- Tribal Consultation Webinar (5/29/14) for Tribal leaders to discuss FDA’s proposed rule to extend authorities to additional tobacco products.
- Tribal Consultation Webinar (6/6/14) for Tribal leaders on Compliance and Enforcement – Collaboration with Tribal Stakeholders.
- Pre-solicitation Conference Webinar (6/26/14) – FDA Tobacco Retail Inspection Contracts for Tribes
How to Contact Us
- Center for Tobacco Products Ombudsman
- Report potential violations via email to the CTP Office of Compliance and Enforcement or via phone at 1-877-CTP-1373
Looking for More?
- Visit the Guidance, Compliance & Regulatory Information page for regulatory information on the Tobacco Control Act
- Visit the Tobacco Products Labeling page for information on graphic warning labels for cigarettes and smokeless tobacco products
- Find information on Protecting Kids from Tobacco
- FDA responds to requests for Clarification About Dissolvable Tobacco Products
- Find information on Compliance Training for Tobacco Retailers webinar series
- See the Break the Chain of Tobacco Addiction retailer education campaign
- View results for the Compliance Check Inspections of Tobacco Product Retailers
Get News and Information
- Emails: Our email updates provide latest news and information at FDA Center for Tobacco Products
- Widgets: Check out our widgets page to get the latest news on FDA tobacco regulation. You can easily add FDA tobacco content to your website by embedding these widgets
- Stakeholder Discussion Series: Our discussion series ensures the opportunity for meaningful engagement and dialogue between FDA officials and the specific stakeholder groups