Tobacco Product Analysis - A Scientific Workshop - July 2013
Federal Register Notice of Public Hearing
The purpose of this workshop is to discuss and obtain input on the chemical analysis of tobacco products. Tobacco product analysis experts from academia, industry, government, and contract testing laboratories will share information on understanding the testing of cigarette smoke and tobacco filler from cigarettes, roll-your-own (RYO) tobacco, and smokeless tobacco products for tar, nicotine, and carbon monoxide (TNCO), tobacco-specific nitrosamines (TSNAs), and polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons (PAHs).
FDA will invite speakers to address specific scientific and technical matters related to
- TNCO in cigarette smoke
- TSNAs (total TSNAs, NNN, and NNK) in cigarette smoke and tobacco filler (cigarette, RYO, and smokeless)
- PAHs (benzo[a]pyrene, naphthalene, chrysene, benz[j]anceanthrylene, benzo[a]anthracene, benzo[b]fluoroanthene, benzo[k]fluoroanthene, benzo[c]phenanthrene, cyclopenta[cd]pyrene, dibenz[a,h]anthracene, dibenzo[a,e]pyrene, dibenzo[a,h]pyrene, dibenzo[a,i]pyrene, dibenzo[a,l]pyrene, indeno[1,2,3-cd]pyrene, and 5-methylchrysene) in cigarette smoke and tobacco filler (cigarette, RYO, and smokeless)
- General method testing for TNCO, TSNAs, and PAHs in tobacco filler (cigarette, RYO, and smokeless) and cigarette smoke
- Validation or method performance for TNCO, TSNAs, and PAHs in tobacco filler (cigarette, RYO, and smokeless) and cigarette smoke
Who Should Attend?
Tobacco scientific and chemistry experts and other interested participants from tobacco product manufacturers and academic, contract, and government testing laboratories, and.
- July 30, 2013 from 8:30 a.m. to 5:30 p.m. ET
- July 31, 2013 from 8:30 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. ET
Center for Tobacco Products
9200 Corporate Blvd, Rockville, MD 20850
There is no registration fee for the public workshop. However, due to limited space, we ask that you please pre-register to attend the workshop, or to view the free webcast, by going to http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/3RGVYFT.
A confirmation email will be sent to your registered email at least two weeks prior to the workshop date. CTP plans to provide a free of charge, live webcast of the July 30-31, 2013, Tobacco Product Analysis Scientific Workshop.
To Register To Make An Oral Presentation:
Email Janie Kim at Center for Tobacco Products, Office of Science, Workshop.CTPOS@fda.hhs.gov by close of business on July 1 2013. Those without email access may contact Janie Kim (see Contact Person).
Please provide contact information including name, title, affiliation, address, email address, and telephone number.
FDA may limit the number of participants from each organization as well as the total number of participants based on space limitations. Registrants will receive confirmation once they have been accepted for the workshop. Onsite registration on the day of the workshop will be based on space availability. If registration reaches maximum capacity, then FDA will post a notice closing registration for the workshop at http://www.fda.gov/TobaccoProducts/default.htm.
FDA Invites Public Comments on chemical analysis of tobacco products and testing of cigarette smoke and tobacco filler from cigarettes, RYO tobacco and smokeless tobacco products for tar, nicotine, and carbon monoxide (TNCO), tobacco-specific nitrosamines (TSNAs), and polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons (PAHs).
To submit comments via the web at www.regulations.gov:
- Type “FDA-2012-N-0212“ into the search field.
- Select “Notice” as the Document Type on the Search Results webpage
- Click on “Meetings: Scientific Evaluation of Modified Risk Tobacco Product Applications; Public Workshop.”
- Click on "Submit a Comment."
- Fill out the required information (you may either type your comments directly into the field or attach a separate file such as Word, PPT, or PDF).
- You may preview your comment but please make sure to click the "Submit" button when you are finished.
To submit written comments, please identify comments with docket no. “FDA-2012-N-0212” and mail to:
Division of Dockets Management (HFA-305)
Food and Drug Administration
5630 Fishers Lane, Room 1061
Rockville, MD 20852
Contact the Center for Tobacco Products, Food and Drug Administration, 9200 Corporate Blvd., Rockville, MD, Telephone: 1-877-287-1373 or e-mail: workshop.CTPOS@fda.hhs.gov