The 2012 National Conference on Tobacco or Health
A New Era of Tobacco Control: Policy, Regulation, and Prevention
The National Conference on Tobacco or Health (NCTOH) is one of the largest, long-standing gatherings of the United States tobacco control movement. It attracts a diverse set of public health professionals to learn about best practices and policies to reduce tobacco use—the leading preventable cause of disease and death in the United States.
This is the first year since the FDA Center for Tobacco Products (CTP) was established that the conference has been convened, so this was our first opportunity to actively participate in the conference. FDA learned from some of the most successful tobacco control programs and projects, shared lessons learned, and networked to strategize about ways to improve tobacco control efforts.
CTP Activities at NCTOH
Former CTP Director Dr. Lawrence R. Deyton helped kick off the conference by providing remarks at the opening plenary. The focus of the opening plenary was on the state of tobacco control and ways to end the tobacco epidemic. He also addressed conference participants at the closing plenary and provided a youth break-out session on FDA’s new regulatory authorities.
Other FDA staff also presented during sub-plenary and poster sessions on topics such as:
- Consumer perceptions of dissolvable tobacco products and hazardous chemicals in tobacco and tobacco smoke;
- Research into the effectiveness of health warnings;
- Trends in tobacco product-associated poisoning events in children; and
- Lessons learned with national tobacco education campaigns.
By attending and participating in the meeting, FDA:
- Presented and learned from the latest evidence on what works in tobacco control and how to apply current research findings and best practices in tobacco control policy and programs;
- Demonstrated practical ways to improve tobacco control programs and activities and discovered other methods that have been successful; and
- Talked to others to share our energy and commitment to tobacco control.
FDA employees also staffed a new exhibit booth with experts to interact with other attendees, share information, and answer questions.
- FDA Voice Blog: National Conference on Tobacco or Health: Convening for a Healthier Future
- View the complete conference program agenda and the list of FDA presentations and times.
- Read about the goals of the 2012 Conference .
- Follow NCTOH on Twitter: @2012NCTOH or #2012NCTOH.