Tobacco Product Analysis- A Scientific Workshop
Due to an outstanding response to our planned April 11-12, 2012 workshop, registration to attend is now closed. There will be no on-site registration. The workshop will be webcast for no charge (no pre-registration necessary). The archived webcast and transcripts will be available after the meeting.
The purpose of this workshop is to discuss and obtain input on the scientific issues related to tobacco reference products. Experts from academia, industry, government, and contract testing laboratories will share information on the following:
- How tobacco reference products are used to ensure that results of product analysis are accurate
- The analytical methods used to measure certain constituent levels in tobacco products and smoke
FDA will invite speakers to address specific scientific and technical matters related to:
- Availability, manufacture, and characterization of tobacco reference products
- Uses of reference products during analysis of tobacco products
- Variability observed in measurements of tobacco reference products
- Methods suitable for measuring the following analytes in smoke and smokeless tobacco products: pH, tobacco-specific nitrosamines, polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons, carbon monoxide, and metals
Who Should Attend
Scientific experts, chemistry experts, and other interested participants from academic labs, contract testing laboratories, government testing laboratories, and tobacco product manufacturers.
Meeting Dates, Times, and Location
When: April 11, 2012 from 8:30 a.m. to 5:30 p.m. ET
April 12, 2012 from 8:30 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. ET
Where: Center for Tobacco Products
9200 Corporate Blvd, Rockville, MD 20850
Registration to attend the workshop in person is now closed. On-site registration will not be permitted. We encourage the public to view the workshop via webcast.
FDA will be providing a free, live webcast of the public workshop. The webcast will begin at 8:30 a.m.(Eastern Standard Time) each day and each webcast will be recorded and will be available shortly after the workshop.
Read Transcripts from the Workshop
FDA Invites Public Comments on tobacco reference products and the analytical methods used to measure certain constituent levels in tobacco products and smoke.
To submit comments via the web at www.regulations.gov:
- Type “FDA-2012-N-0212“ into the search field.
- Select “Notice” as the Document Type on the Search Results webpage
- Click on “Meetings: Scientific Evaluation of Modified Risk Tobacco Product Applications; Public Workshop.”
- Click on "Submit a Comment."
- Fill out the required information (you may either type your comments directly into the field or attach a separate file such as Word, PPT, or PDF).
- You may preview your comment but please make sure to click the "Submit" button when you are finished.
To submit written comments, please identify comments with docket no. “FDA-2012-N-0212” and mail to:
Division of Dockets Management (HFA-305)
Food and Drug Administration
5630 Fishers Lane, Room 1061
Rockville, MD 20852
Contact the Center for Tobacco Products,
Food and Drug Administration,
9200 Corporate Blvd., Rockville, MD,
Telephone: 1-877-287-1373 or