Get Spanish-Language Tobacco Product Content
February 1, 2012
Looking for FDA Center for Tobacco Products information in Spanish?
Our Spanish-language site, www.fda.gov/tabaco, includes many free resources and tools for the Spanish-speaking community, such as:
- Break the Chain of Tobacco Addiction education resources for retailers.
- FDA guidance on a variety of tobacco-related regulations, including Cigarette Health Warnings, Guidance and Regulations, and the latest news from the Center.
- Ways to connect with FDA Center for Tobacco Products.
- Widgets to add to your website with the latest information in Spanish.
Bridging the Information Gap
As part of FDA’s goal to reduce the public health burden of illness and death from tobacco use, Hispanics are a key audience for us. Our goal with this site is to make our content easier to access for Spanish-speaking readers.
In developing our first pilot site in another language, we considered:
- Past discussions with tobacco control colleagues and retailer associations showed a need to provide tobacco-related educational information and regulatory guidance in Spanish. In fact, an Experian Simmons study showed that bilingual and Spanish-speaking Hispanics care when communicators make the effort to connect with them through their own language.
- Tobacco is the leading preventable cause of death in America. Nearly 15 percent of Hispanic adults smoke cigarettes and many of those adults want to quit smoking, according to estimates from CDC.
We hope this effort will help Spanish speakers learn about FDA’s role in regulating tobacco, and help Spanish-speaking retailers better understand how to comply with FDA tobacco regulations.
Help Improve the Site: Share Your Suggestions
We encourage everyone to let us know what you think about our Spanish site.
Through our idea platform, anyone can submit a comment and have it voted on by others. We are listening and will consider your ideas to improve our efforts to share information about FDA tobacco product regulations, and to develop innovative ways to educate Americans about the dangers of tobacco products use.
- More FDA Tobacco Features in Spanish.
- Find statistics related to demographics and smoking and tobacco use, including tobacco use in Hispanic and Latino communities, on CDC’s website.
Posted February 1, 2012