December 27, 2011
We reached our pledge goal for this year but we still need your help!
In December, we launched the Pledge to Protect Kids from Tobacco. We asked for your help to take the pledge and help keep tobacco out of the hands of youth. Our goal was to get 500 pledges by the end of 2011.
Thank you to everyone who has taken the pledge. Because of you, we reached our goal early and already have more than 500 pledges!
Keeping the Momentum to Protect Kids for 2012
If you haven’t pledged yet, we encourage you to take the pledge now. Consider these facts:
- Smoking and smokeless tobacco use are usually initiated during adolescence. More than 80% of adult smokers begin smoking before 18 years of age.
- Each day in the United States, approximately 3,450 young people between 12 and 17 years of age smoke their first cigarette, and an estimated 850 youth become daily cigarette smokers.
By taking the pledge and standing behind retailers who follow the law and refuse to sell tobacco to minors, you can help reduce youth initiation. Join a community committed to improving public health and lowering the startling statistics on tobacco use.
Everyone Can Help Spread the Pledge!
After you’ve taken the pledge, we ask that you share the pledge to help us spread the word about supporting responsible retailing. There are a variety of ways to share this message with your family, friends, and coworkers.
- Post to your Facebook page,
- Share on Twitter ,
- Email a link to our pledge page and share your story of why you pledged,
- Post the pledge widget on your site. Select the share button on the Spread the Pledge tab to get the sharing code.
Posted: December 27, 2011