OWH Research Initiatives
The FDA Office of Women’s Health (OWH) funds scientific research, workshops, and trainings to provide a foundation for the development of sound policies and regulations to enhance women’s health. To date, OWH has provided approximately $23 million for women’s health research initiatives on topics ranging from cancer, HIV, and osteoporosis to dietary supplements, dioxins, and statistical approaches to gender analysis.
- The results of OWH funded research have been published in over 170 articles in peer-reviewed journals.
- OWH funded research has impacted regulatory decision-making including guidance documents, label changes, and standards development.
- Animal models developed with OWH funds have been used to further research and regulatory projects.
- OWH scientific workshops have brought together representatives from government, industry, and academia to address vital women’s health issues.
- Projects by Year
- Projects by Therapeutic Category
- Projects on Women and Heart Disease
- Projects on the Participation of Women in Clinical Trials
- Pregnancy Research Initiatives
- Projects by (DHHS) National Centers of Excellence in Women’s Health (COE)
- OWH Accomplishment Report
Publications and Presentations
Scientific Workshops and Meetings
- Sex, Gender and Medicine - Meeting with the Karolinska Institutet of Sweden - June 2012
- Dialogues on Diversifying Clinical Trials Conference - September 22-23, 2011
- 2011 Pregnancy and Prescription Medication Use Symposium
- 2010 OWH Science Day Keynote Lecture: “Gender and the Genome: A Complicated and Still Unfolding Tale”
- Sex Differences and the FDA Critical Path Initiative
- Gender Studies in Product Development: Scientific Issues and Approaches
Web-based Tools for Health Professionals
- The Science of Sex and Gender in Human Health (joint project with NIH Office of Research on Women’s Health)
- Does My Patient Understand? (joint project with the HRSA Patient Safety and Clinical Pharmacy Services Collaborative)
- Pregnancy Exposure Registries Web-Portal