What you Need to Know About our Voluntary Recall of Salads Processed at the Springfield, Ohio Facility
An additional consumer response telephone number has been added to assist you in answering your questions. 844-483-3865.
Dole Food Company, Inc.
One Dole Drive
Westlake Village, California 91362-7300
Attention: Consumer Center
(January 27, 2016) – Dole Fresh Vegetables, Inc., has temporarily suspended operations at our Springfield, Ohio production facility, and we are voluntarily recalling all Dole-branded and private label packaged salads processed at that location.
We apologize for any concern or inconvenience this temporary suspension has caused our retail customers and consumers. While other Dole products are not affected by the recall, we want to keep you updated with the latest information about the products that have been taken off the market.
Our voluntary product recall is a result of a suspected link of the products to a listeria outbreak, but the exact source is still unknown. We are working closely with regulatory agencies as our Springfield plant undergoes additional investigation and testing.
Voluntary recall is a specific term used by the Food and Drug Administration (FDA). While our actions under a voluntary recall as compared to the previously reported voluntary withdrawal remain the same, we have updated our communication terminology to reference a "recall." We have done this with the aim of using terminology that may be more familiar to consumers.
Transparency and safety remain our top concerns and we will provide updates as additional information is available. For more information about listeria, please visit: www.cdc.gov/listeria/outbreaks/.
What you need to know:
- Listeria monocytogenes is an organism which can cause serious and sometimes fatal infections in young children, frail or elderly people, and others with weakened immune systems. Although healthy individuals may suffer only short-term symptoms such as high fever, severe headache, stiffness, nausea, abdominal pain and diarrhea, listeria infection can cause miscarriages and stillbirths among pregnant women.
- Dole Fresh Vegetables is coordinating closely with state and federal officials to determine the exact source of the listeria outbreak. Our website will be updated as new information is provided.
- All production at the processing facility in Springfield, Ohio stopped on January 21, 2016. Recalled brands of packaged salads include Dole, Fresh Selections, Simple Truth, Marketside, The Little Salad Bar, and President's Choice. Packaged salad products being recalled are identified with a product code beginning with the letter "A" in the upper right-hand corner of the package. Here's an example of what the package product code would look like:
- Consumers who have any remaining product with an "A" code should not consume it, and promptly discard it.
- Since July 5, 2015, 15 people from six states have been reported being infected with listeria. Sadly, one person in the United States has died. Unfortunately, we do not know the exact circumstances, such as age or preexisting conditions. The Centers for Disease Control has not disclosed this information at this time.
- Canadian health officials have also reported that 7 people were infected with listeria in five provinces and became ill between September 2015 and early January 2016. All individuals were hospitalized, and 1 person has died although it has not been determined if listeria contributed to the cause of death. We understand that the Centers for Disease Control believes 5 of these 7 cases are highly related to the listeria cases in the United States due to genetic testing.
- All of the retailers who received the products being recalled have been contacted.
- No additional Dole facilities are known to be affected at this time. Other Dole products, including fresh fruit, fresh vegetables and packaged salads from Dole's other processing facilities (with product codes beginning with the letters "B" or "N"), are not part of this voluntary recall.
- Below is a list of U.S. states included in the voluntary recall. Other states may have received recalled products through secondary distribution so this list may not be complete. Consumers should look for the "A" at the beginning of the manufacturing code found on the package.
- North Carolina
- New Jersey
- New York
- South Carolina
The Canadian Food Inspection Agency has issued a food recall warning for products made at this plant and reports that recalled salads have also been shipped to these provinces in Canada:
- New Brunswick
- Newfoundland and Labrador
- Nova Scotia
- Prince Edward Island
The type of salad blends produced at the Springfield, Ohio, plant were packaged in bags and clamshell containers and include:
- American salads
- arugula salads
- Asian salads
- bacon and bleu cheese salads
- BBQ Ranch salads
- Caesar salads
- chipotle and cheddar salads
- field green salads
- garden salads
- iceberg salads
- Italian blend salads
- kale salads
- lettuce salads
- Mediterranean salads
- romaine salads
- sesame ginger salads
- Southwest salads
- spinach salads
- spring mix salads
- spinach salads
- sunflower salads
- vegetable blend salads
If you have any concerns, please reach out to the Dole Food Company Consumer Response Center at 844-483-3865. Temporary extended hours are 8:00am-8:00pm EST, Monday - Friday.
Media inquiries should be directed to William Goldfield at 818-874-4647.
Please continue to enjoy all of our products which remain for sale at your favorite stores. We thank you for your continued trust and confidence in our products.