Recall -- Firm Press Release
FDA posts press releases and other notices of recalls and market withdrawals from the firms involved as a service to consumers, the media, and other interested parties. FDA does not endorse either the product or the company.
Whole Foods Market® Recalls Ready-To-Eat Grain Salads
512-477-5566 ext. 20060
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE - November 12, 2013 - Whole Foods Market’s Northern California region is recalling ready-to-eat Artichoke Wheatberry Salad and Southwest SooFoo®* Salad in response to a recall issued today by Glass Onion Catering. The salads are being recalled as a preventive measure because they have the potential to be contaminated with E. coli O157:h7, a bacteria that may cause illness.
Symptoms of E. coli O157:H7 infection may include abdominal cramps and diarrhea which is often bloody. Most infected people recover within a week; however, some may develop complications that require hospitalization. Young children and the elderly are at highest risk for a potentially life-threatening complication known as hemolytic uremic syndrome (HUS) which includes kidney failure. To date, 26 illnesses have been reported; however, none of the illnesses are linked to products specifically sold at Whole Foods Market.
Customers may have purchased the Artichoke Wheatberry Salad and Southwest SooFoo Salad from the fresh deli case, salad bar and/or in pre-packed pint or half-pint containers in the Prepared Foods department. Both products have been pulled from all venues and carry an expiration date between Nov. 9 and Nov. 13. Four PLUs are associated with these salads:
- 28563300000- Artichoke Wheatberry Salad
- 28563400000- Artichoke Wheatberry Salad
- 28563700000- Southwest SooFoo Salad
- 28563800000- Southwest SooFoo Salad
The recalled salads were sold in the following 10 of the company’s 40 Northern California stores:
- Capitola, 1710 41st Ave, Capitola, CA 95010
- Fremont, 3111 Mowry Ave., Fremont, CA 94538
- Oakland, 230 Bay Place, Oakland, CA 94612
- Lafayette, 3502 Mt. Diablo Blvd, Lafayette, CA 94549
- Los Gatos, 15980 Los Gatos Blvd, Los Gatos, CA 94032
- Napa, 3682 Bel Aire Plaza, Napa, CA 94558
- Noe Valley, 3950 24th St, San Francisco, CA 94114
- Redwood City, 1250 Jefferson Ave, Redwood City, CA 94062
- San Mateo, 1010 Park Pl, San Mateo, CA 94403
- Walnut Creek, 1333 Newell Ave, Walnut Creek, CA 94596
Customers who have purchased these products should discard them, and may bring in a receipt to any of the above stores for a full refund.
Questions about the recall can be directed to 512-477-5566, ext. 20060, Monday-Friday from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. CST.
*SooFoo® is a separate corporate entity; Whole Foods Market sources SooFoo grains as an ingredient in its Southwest SooFoo Salad. The SooFoo ingredient is not related to the recall.