Recall -- Firm Press Release
FDA posts press releases and other notices of recalls and market withdrawals from the firms involved as a service to consumers, the media, and other interested parties. FDA does not endorse either the product or the company.
RECALL Green Valley Food Corp. is Expanding Its Recall
to Include The Following Items Because of a
Possible Health Risk.
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE - December 22, 2011 - Green Valley Food Corp. of Dallas, Texas is recalling a grand total of 6,723 cases because of a “Let’s Grow Healthy Together!” Alfalfa Sprouts 5 oz. container test result showed to be contaminated with Salmonella, an organism that can cause serious and sometimes fatal infections in young children, frail or elderly people, and others with weakened immune systems. Healthy persons infected with Salmonella often experience fever, diarrhea (which may be bloody), nausea, vomiting and abdominal pain. In rare circumstances, infection with Salmonella can result in the organism getting into the bloodstream and producing more severe illnesses such as arterial infections (i.e., infected aneurysms), endocarditis and arthritis. The items affected in the recall are as follows:
- “Let’s Grow Healthy Together!” Alfalfa Sprouts 5 oz. containers with the UPC number 714722228818
- “Let’s Grow Healthy Together!” Spicy Sprouts 5 oz. containers with the UPC number 71472222991
- Alfalfa Sprouts 4oz. clamshell UPC number 815098001088
- “100% Natural Onion Sprouts” 4oz. clamshell UPC number 815098002054
The sprouts affected in this recall were distributed in Texas via truck deliveries to all customers in Texas. All customers were retail grocery store and food distribution centers. If you are a customer affected by this recall you will be receiving a letter asking for the quantities you were shipped and their whereabouts. Please, respond as soon as possible.
The product descriptions are as follows:
- “Let’s Grow Healthy Together!” Alfalfa Sprouts 5 oz. container is 4 inches by 4 inches with the UPC number 714722228818. The label has blue lettering that states “Let’s Grow Healthy Together!” Alfalfa Sprouts.
- “Let’s Grow Healthy Together!” Spicy Sprouts 5 oz. container is 4 inches by 4 inches with the UPC number 71472222991. The label will have red lettering stating “Let’s Grow Healthy Together!” Spicy Sprouts.
- Alfalfa Sprouts 4oz. is a clamshell measuring 4 inches by 5 inches with the UPC number 815098001088. The label has green lettering stating “100% Natural Alfalfa Sprouts”.
“100% Natural Onion Sprouts” 4oz. clamshell measures 4 inches by 5 inches with UPC number 815098002054.The label has yellow lettering stating “100% Natural Onion Sprouts”
Any of these items received or purchased from 12/07/2011 to 1/1/2012 are affected in this recall and/or if the items have a use by date ranging from 12/22/2011 to 1/1/2012.
Till this present day there has been no related illnesses CONFIRMED because of this recall. This is a cautionary measure taken by Green Valley Food Corp. to assure safe and quality products are being distributed by our facility.
On 12/12/2011 a random sample was taken from a customer we currently supply. The product tested positive for Salmonella. To assure our customers of a safe Alfalfa Sprouts, Green Valley Food Corp., is voluntarily recalling these items specified above. This is a cautionary measure taken by Green Valley Food Corp. to assure all customers and consumers of any issues with our products. We are voluntarily requesting this recall and are working closely with the FDA to assure all consumers our products are safe.
Should you have any “Let’s Grow Healthy Together!” Alfalfa Sprouts 5 oz. containers, “Let’s Grow Healthy Together!” Spicy Sprouts 5 oz. containers, Alfalfa Sprouts 4oz. clamshells, or “100% Natural Onion Sprouts” 4oz. clamshell please dispose of the product by throwing away in a trash receptacle. This is a cautionary measure to assure our customers of safe products. Consumers who have purchased or received these items from 12/07/11 to 1/01/2012 should be disposed of immediately. Should you have any questions please feel free to contact us at (214) 939-3900 from Monday thru Friday from 6:00am to 4:00pm and on Saturday from 6:00am to noon, or via email at firstname.lastname@example.org. We thank you for your attention to this recall and know with the help of the FDA, Green Valley Food Corp., will continue to produce and ship safe and quality products.
Recalled Product Photos Are Also Available on FDA's Flicker Photostream.