The content on this page is provided for reference purposes only. This content has not been altered or updated since it was archived.
Recall -- Firm Press Release
FDA posts press releases and other notices of recalls and market withdrawals from the firms involved as a service to consumers, the media, and other interested parties. FDA does not endorse either the product or the company.
Flying Food Group Updates Recall of Sandwiches Because of Possible Health Risk
(312) 243-2122 ext. 127
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE December 5, 2011 - Flying Food Group’s Lawrenceville, GA facility is updating its recall of FDA regulated sandwiches originally announced on December 3, 2011 to include two additional products that were inadvertently excluded from its original press release. The two additional products are a Turkey Quarter Pounder and a Turkey Quarter Pounder with Tomatoes. Flying Foods is recalling these products, as well as other products announced on December 3, because they have the potential to be contaminated with Listeria monocytogenes. No illnesses have been reported to date in connection with this problem.
Listeria monocytogenes is an organism which can cause serious and sometimes fatal infections in young children, frail or elderly people, and others with weakened immune systems. Although healthy individuals may suffer only short-term symptoms such as high fever, severe headache, stiffness, nausea, abdominal pain and diarrhea, listeria infection can cause miscarriages and stillbirths among pregnant women.
The following is a complete list of FDA regulated products implicated in this recall. These products were made for Race Trac and were distributed to retail outlets in Georgia only:
Race Trac (distributed in Georgia):
- 7.8 ounce packages of “Chicken Quarter Pounder” that have “Sell Thru” dates 10/11/11-11/30/11
- 8.8 ounce packages of “Chicken Quarter Pounder with Tomatoes” that have “Sell Thru” dates 10/11/11-11/30/11
- 7.38 ounce packages of “Ham Quarter Pounder” that have “Sell Thru” dates 10/11/11-11/30/117.38 ounce packages of “Ham Quarter Pounder” that have “Sell Thru” dates 10/11/11-11/30/11
- 9.05 ounce packages of “Ham Quarter Pounder with Tomatoes” that have “Sell Thru” dates 10/11/11-11/30/11
- 10.17 ounce packages of “American Sub” that have “Sell Thru” dates 10/11/11-11/30/11
- 7.38 ounce packages of “Turkey Quarter Pounder” that have “Sell Thru” dates 10/11/11-11/30/11
- 9.05 ounce packages of “Turkey Quarter Pounder with Tomatoes” that have “Sell Thru” dates 10/11/11-11/30/11
Again, no illnesses have been reported to date in connection with this problem.
The potential for contamination was noted after the intact packaged ingredient was sampled by Flying Food Group which revealed the presence of listeria.
The production of all products at the Lawrenceville, GA facility has been voluntarily suspended effective November 29th pending a full investigation.
Although the recalled products are beyond their sell-by dates, consumers who determine they still have affected product should destroy that product or return it to the location where purchased for a full refund.
Consumers with questions may contact the company’s representative, Ellen Pritsker at (312) 243-2122 ext. 127 during the hours of 9 AM to 5 PM Monday through Friday. Voice mail messages may also be left and will be returned. Emails may also be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org.