Recall -- Firm Press Release
FDA posts press releases and other notices of recalls and market withdrawals from the firms involved as a service to consumers, the media, and other interested parties. FDA does not endorse either the product or the company.
Whole Foods Market South Region Announces a Nationwide Recall of Bulk Pistachio Products Because of Possible Health Risk
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE -- April 15, 2009 – Alpharetta, GA – Whole Foods Market is voluntarily recalling all code dates of the following bulk and pre-packaged items because they may contain pistachios that have the potential to be contaminated with salmonella:
- UPC# 222446 Bulk Roasted Salted Pistachios
- UPC# 222447 Bulk Roasted Unsalted Pistachios
- UPC# 222450 Bulk Roasted Unsalted Shelled Pistachios
- UPC# 222451 Bulk Dry Roasted Salted Shelled Pistachios
- UPC# 222476 Bulk Chili Lemon Pistachios
- UPC# 222463 Jalapeno Pistachios
- UPC# 222462 Garlic Onion Pistachios
- UPC# 72305520446 Pre-packaged Roasted Salted Pistachios Packed on 3/27/09 Sell by 9/23/09
- UPC# 72305520447 Pre-packaged Roasted Unsalted Pistachios Packed on 3/18/09 Sell by 9/14/09
- UPC# 72305520450 Pre-packaged Roasted Unsalted Shelled Pistachios Packed on 10/23/08
Sell by 4/21/09
- UPC# 72305520451 Pre-packaged Dry Roasted Salted Shelled Pistachios Packed on 11/06/08
Sell by 5/6/09
- UPC# 72305520476 Pre-packaged Chili lemon Pistachios Packed on 3/11/09 Sell by: 9/6/09
- UPC# 72305520463 Pre-packaged Jalapeno Pistachios Packed on 3/11/09 Sell by 9/6/09
- UPC# 72305520462 Pre-packaged Garlic onion Pistachios Packed on 12/29/08 Sell by 6/27/09
- UPC# 72305520330 Pre-packaged Roasted Salted Pistachios Packed on 3/17/09 Sell by 9/18/09
- UPC# 72305520331 Pre-packaged Chili Lemon Pistachios Packed on 3/11/09 Sell by 9/12/09
- UPC# 72305520333 Pre-packaged Jalapeno Pistachios Packed on 3/11/09 Sell by 9/12/09
- UPC# 72305520842 Pre-packaged Oriental Wasabi Mix Sell by 3/26/09 9/27/09
- UPC# 72305520991 Pre-packaged Gourmet Holiday Nut Platter Sell by 3/31/09
Salmonella is an organism which can cause serious and sometimes fatal infections in young children, frail or elderly people, and others with weakened immune systems. Healthy persons infected with Salmonella often experience fever, diarrhea (which may be bloody), nausea, vomiting and abdominal pain. In rare circumstances, infection with Salmonella can result in the organism getting into the bloodstream and producing more severe illnesses such as arterial infections (i.e., infected aneurysms), endocarditis and arthritis.
This action was taken as a result of the recently expanded recall by Setton Pistachio of Terra Bella, Inc. to include all pistachio ingredients produced in their California facility, in turn affecting Whole Foods Market suppliers for bulk pistachios. None of the recalled Whole Foods Market products have been directly linked to the salmonella outbreak, and there have been no illnesses reported.
The recalled products were sold in Whole Foods Market stores located in Alabama, Georgia, Illinois, Kentucky, Maryland, Michigan, Minnesota, Missouri, Nebraska, New Jersey, North Carolina, Ohio, Pennsylvania, South Carolina, Tennessee, Virginia, Washington D.C., Wisconsin and Toronto, Ontario, Canada.
Customers are encouraged to return any of these products to Whole Foods Market or Harry’s Farmers Market for a full refund.
For Claims or questions, contact:
Regional Claims Specialist-SOUTH Region
Whole Foods Market, Inc.
9:00 AM – 5:00 PM Eastern