Recall -- Firm Press Release
FDA posts press releases and other notices of recalls and market withdrawals from the firms involved as a service to consumers, the media, and other interested parties. FDA does not endorse either the product or the company.
Mrs. Grissom’s Salads Announces Voluntary Product Recall Due To Undeclared Anchovies
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE -- April 9, 2009 -- Nashville, TN -- Mrs. Grissom’s Salads is recalling ALL LOTS of the following cheese products due to undeclared anchovies:
Cheese products packaged under the Mrs. Grissom’s brand:
- Premium Cheese Spread, packaged in 11 oz, 24 oz, 48 oz and 5 lb plastic tubs
- Hot Jalapeno Cheese Spread or Dip, packaged in 11 oz plastic tubs
- Original Recipe Pimento Cheese Salad, packaged in 11 oz and 5 lb plastic tubs
- Jalapeno, Hot Cheese Dip, packaged in 8 oz plastic containers
- Gar-licious, Garlic & Onion Flavor Cheese Dip, packaged in 8 oz plastic containers
- Cheese n’Cheese, Double Cheese Dip, packaged in 8 oz plastic containers
- Bac’n Cheese, Bacon Flavor Cheese Dip, packaged in 8 oz plastic containers
- Ragin’ Cajun, Spicy Cheese Dip, packaged in 8 oz plastic containers
Cheese products packaged under the Grace’s HomeStyle Brand:
- Pimento Sandwich Spread, packaged in 11 oz and 24 oz plastic tubs
- Hot Jalapeno Pimento Spread or Dip, packaged in 11 oz plastic tubs
These products were distributed through retail grocery and dollar stores in Kentucky, Indiana, Tennessee, Alabama, Mississippi, Georgia and West Virginia.
Mrs. Grissom’s Salads CEO Kenneth Funger said the omission was discovered April 8, 2009 during a routine inspection at the company’s processing and packaging plant in Nashville, Tennessee. The Worcestershire sauce used in these products contains anchovies, and people who have an allergy or severe sensitivity to fish run the risk of serious or life-threatening allergic reaction if they consume these products. We are recalling the products and revising the labeling to ensure persons with fish allergies are aware of its presence.
Funger said that the company has received no complaints or reports of an allergic reaction to the products.
Consumers who have purchased the products are urged to return it to the place of purchase for a full refund. Consumers with questions regarding this recall may call the company at 1-800-255-0571.