Recall -- Firm Press Release
FDA posts press releases and other notices of recalls and market withdrawals from the firms involved as a service to consumers, the media, and other interested parties. FDA does not endorse either the product or the company.
Lamb's Markets Initiates Voluntary Recall of Bulk Peanuts and Trail Mixes Due to Possible Health Risk
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE -- April 6, 2009––Lamb’s Markets of Wilsonville, Oregon is voluntarily recalling bulk peanuts and trail mixes in response to the recall of peanuts manufactured by Peanut Corporation of America (PCA), because the peanuts may have been contaminated with Salmonella at PCA's Georgia and Texas facilities.
Salmonella is an organism that can cause serious and sometimes fatal infections, particularly in young children, the frail or elderly, and persons with weakened immune systems. Healthy persons infected with Salmonella often experience fever, diarrhea (which may be bloody), nausea, vomiting and/or abdominal pain. In rare circumstances, infection with Salmonella can result in the organism getting into the bloodstream and producing more severe illnesses, such as arterial infections (i.e. infected aneurysms), endocarditis, and arthritis.
Bulk peanuts and trail mixes were distributed in the self-serve bulk section of Lamb’s Markets retail stores located in Portland, Tigard, Lake Oswego and Wilsonville, Oregon. The following products were sold between Jan. 1, 2007 and Feb. 13, 2009 and do not have UPC codes:
- Glory Bee Foods Conventional Peanut Splits, Honey Roasted -- Bulk Bin No. 8434, labeled "Honey Roasted Peanuts"
- Glory Bee Foods Organic Peanut Splits, Dry Roasted, No Salt -- Bulk Bin No. 98944, labeled "Organic Dry Roasted, No Salt Peanuts"
- Glory Bee Foods Organic Peanut Splits, No Salt -- Bulk Bin No. 98426, labeled "No Salt Peanuts"
- Glory Bee Foods Peanut Splits, Dry Roasted, No Salt -- Bulk Bin No. 8426, labeled "Dry Roasted, No Salt Peanuts"
- Glory Bee Foods Peanuts, Granulated, Dry Roasted, Medium -- Bulk Bin No. 9066, labeled "Granulated, Dry Roasted, Medium Peanuts"
- Glory Bee Foods Peanuts, Raw Redskins -- Bulk Bin No. 8076, labeled "Raw Redskin Peanuts"
- Aunt Patty’s Organic Cascade Trail Mix -- Bulk Bin No. 9005, labeled "Organic Cascade Trail Mix"
- Aunt Patty’s Mt. Hood Trail Mix -- Bulk Bin No. 8101, labeled "Mt. Hood Trail Mix"
- Bulk self-grind peanut butter made from above peanuts -- Bin No. 98944, 98426
No known illnesses have been reported to date in connection with these products. The recall was initiated after it was determined that the bulk peanuts and trail mixes received were manufactured using Peanut Corporation of America peanuts. For more information about salmonella, visit the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention’s website at www.cdc.gov. Lamb’s Markets has informed FDA of its actions and is fully cooperating with the Agency.
Lamb’s Markets proactively and voluntarily removed these products when it became aware of the potential for contamination on Feb. 13, 2009.
At Lamb’s Markets, we take the safety of customers and the integrity of our products very seriously. Anyone who purchased the recalled products can return them to any Lamb’s Markets for a full refund. Customers with questions should contact Lamb’s Markets at 503-636-5417. Hours are Monday through Friday, 7:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. (PDT).