Recall -- Firm Press Release
FDA posts press releases and other notices of recalls and market withdrawals from the firms involved as a service to consumers, the media, and other interested parties. FDA does not endorse either the product or the company.
Astor Chocolate Corporation Issues Nationwide Voluntary Recall of Products containing in shell and Shelled Pistachios Due to Possible Health Risk
Nat Vernaci, CFO
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE -- Lakewood, NJ - April 7, 2009 – As a follow up to the expanded recall of roasted pistachios announced by Setton Pistachio of Terra Bella, Inc. on April 6, 2009, Astor Chocolate Corp. announced today that it is voluntarily recalling all gift towers and mini snack tubes of Roasted Salted Inshell Pistachios and Holiday Delight Chocolate Bark with dried apricot, figs and pistachios because they were packed with pistachios supplied by Setton Farms after Sept 1 2008. This as a precautionary measure because the product may be contaminated with Salmonella.
Salmonella can cause serious and sometimes fatal infections in young children, frail or elderly people and others with weakened immune systems. Healthy persons infected with Salmonella often experience fever, diarrhea (which may be bloody), nausea, vomiting and abdominal pain. In rare circumstances, infection with Salmonella can result in the organism getting into the bloodstream and producing more severe illnesses such as arterial infections (i.e., infected aneurysms), endocarditis and arthritis. For more information, please visit the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention's website at www.cdc.gov.
To date, Astor Chocolate Corporation has not received any reports of illnesses in connection with the items.
- Small clear cylinders containing 5 oz of pistachios were sold in limited quantities to one hotel location in Southern California that has been notified.
- Gold Gift Towers packed with a variety of snacks including 2 oz packages of pistachios are distributed in Nevada to one hotel/resort customer that has been notified.
- 4.5 oz Holiday Delight Dark Chocolate Bark swirled with white chocolate and pistachios, fig, and apricot were sold nationwide to customers through food service distributors to corporate cafeterias, college/university campuses, and other food service locations beginning October 2008 through Dec 2008.
- The following holiday gift towers are packed with a variety of snacks including 2 oz packages of pistachios and are sold nationwide to customers through food service distributors to corporate cafeterias, college/university campuses, and other food service facilities beginning November 2008 through Dec 2008.
- Holiday Indulgent 4 tiered gift towers
- Deluxe Holiday 5 tiered gift towers
Consumers should not eat these products and discard any products they may have.
Consumers who have questions can call the company Monday thru Thursday, 9 am to 5 pm EST and Friday 9 am to 2 pm EST at 732-901-1000.