Recall -- Firm Press Release
FDA posts press releases and other notices of recalls and market withdrawals from the firms involved as a service to consumers, the media, and other interested parties. FDA does not endorse either the product or the company.
Ann's House of Nuts Voluntarily Recalls Products Containing Pistachios Associated with Setton Pistachio of Terra Bella, Inc. National Recall Because of Possible Health Risk
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE -- JESSUP, MD -- April 2, 2009 - As a follow up to the voluntary recall of pistachios announced by Setton Pistachio of Terra Bella, Inc. on March 30, 2009, Ann’s House of Nuts, Inc. announced today that it is voluntarily recalling certain products as a precautionary measure because of possible Salmonella contamination. This voluntary recall is not related to the peanut / peanut butter recalls.
Salmonella is an organism that can cause serious and sometimes fatal infections, particularly in young children, the elderly, and persons with weakened immune systems. Healthy persons infected with Salmonella often experience fever, diarrhea, nausea, vomiting and/or abdominal pain. For more information, please visit the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention's website at www.cdc.gov.
To date, no complaints or illnesses have been reported associated with the products listed below.
Consumers who recently have purchased the items listed below should not consume these products and should return them to the store of purchase for a full refund or replacement. The Company also is asking its retail customers who sell or have sold any of the products listed below to notify their customers that these items have been recalled.
This voluntary recall involves the following products:
- Ann’s House of Nuts Shelled Pistachios, Roasted and Salted, sold in clear 16-ounce jars at Publix Super Market locations in FL, GA, SC, AL and TN, with the UPC code 038718060160 and the “best if used by” dates between 08AUG2009 and 24JAN2010.
- Ann’s House of Nuts Shelled Pistachios, Roasted and Salted, sold in clear 16–ounce jars at the Ann’s House of Nuts Retail Outlet Store in Jessup, MD, with the UPC code 038718060160 and the “best if used by” dates of 11JAN2010 and 24JAN2010.
- Pecan Paradise, sold in approximate 2-pound twist tie clear poly bags at the Ann’s House of Nuts Retail Outlet Store in Jessup, MD, from February 27 to March 25, 2009.
- Giant Eagle Pecan Perfection, sold in clear 11-ounce jars at Giant Eagle store locations in PA, OH, WV and MD, with the UPC code 030034058562 and the “best if used by” date of 01SEP2009.
- Wegmans Pecan Blend, sold in clear 16-ounce jars at Wegmans store locations in NY, NJ, PA, MD and VA, with the UPC code 077890943465 and the “best if used by” date of 12NOV2009.
- Wegmans Pistachio Blend, sold in clear 16-ounce jars at Wegmans store locations in NY, NJ, PA, MD and VA, with the UPC code 077890894170 and the “best if used by” dates of 04SEP2009, 18NOV2009, 23NOV2009 and 18DEC2009.
Consumers or customers who have questions about the above recall may contact Ann’s House of Nuts toll-free at 800.466.2667 from 9:00 am to 4:00 pm EDT Monday through Friday. Additional information is available at www.annshouseofnuts.info
Ann’s House of Nuts is headquartered in Jessup, Maryland, and has processed, packaged and distributed high-quality snack foods since 1973.