Recall -- Firm Press Release
FDA posts press releases and other notices of recalls and market withdrawals from the firms involved as a service to consumers, the media, and other interested parties. FDA does not endorse either the product or the company.
WinCo Foods Recalls Bulk Candy Items Containing Peanuts Because Of A Possible Health Risk
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE -- February 4, 2009 -- WinCo Foods of Boise, ID is recalling eight bulk food candy items containing peanuts because they have the potential to be contaminated with Salmonella. Salmonella is an organism which can cause serious and sometimes fatal infections in young children, frail or elderly people, and others with weakened immune systems. Healthy persons infected with Salmonella often experience fever, diarrhea (which may be bloody), nausea, vomiting and abdominal pain. In rare circumstances, infection with Salmonella can result in the organism getting into the bloodstream and producing more severe illnesses such as arterial infections (i.e., infected aneurysms), endocarditis and arthritis.
These products were sold in the bulk section of WinCo Foods retail stores located in Washington, Idaho, Nevada, California and Oregon from January 2007 to January 31, 2009.
The following products are being recalled:
- Chocolate peanuts (Double Dipped Chocolate Peanuts), WinCo Foods bin # 2077, and WinCo Foods bin # 72077
- N/S added drk choc pnut (No Sugar added Dark Chocolate Peanuts), WinCo Foods bin # 1540 and WinCo Foods bin #71540
- NSA bridge mix (No Sugar added Chocolate Bridge Mix), WinCo Foods bin # 3326 and WinCo Foods bin # 73326
- N/S added choc peanuts (No Sugar added Chocolate Peanuts), WinCo Foods bin # 1549
- Choc organic peanuts (Organic Milk Chocolate Peanuts), WinCo Foods bin # 1477 and WinCo Foods bin # 71477
- NSA pnut clst (No Sugar added Chocolate Peanut Cluster), WinCo Foods bin # 3313 and WinCo Foods bin # 73313
- Yogurt Peanuts, WinCo Foods bin # 1506
- Yogurt Peanut Clusters, WinCo Foods bin # 1502
No known illnesses have been reported to date in connection with these products. The recall was initiated due to the expanded recall by Peanut Corp of America that included the peanut types used in these products. WinCo Foods has informed FDA of its actions and is fully cooperating with the Agency.
Customers who have purchased any of the above bulk products are urged to return it to WinCo Foods for a full refund. Consumers with questions may contact the company at 1-800-635-5167.