Recall -- Firm Press Release
FDA posts press releases and other notices of recalls and market withdrawals from the firms involved as a service to consumers, the media, and other interested parties. FDA does not endorse either the product or the company.
Southwest Specialty Foods Recalls Products Supplied by Peanut Corporation of America
Southwest Specialty Foods
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE - February 4, 2009 -- Southwest Specialty Food Inc is announcing a voluntary nationwide recall of the products “Ass Kickin’ Honey Roasted Peanuts” and “Ass Kickin’ Chipotle Honey Peanuts” because the products contain peanuts supplied by Peanut Corporation of America (PCA) which is the focus of an ongoing Salmonella investigation.
Salmonella is an organism which can cause serious and sometimes fatal infections in young children, frail or elderly people, and others with weakened immune systems. Healthy persons infected with Salmonella often experience fever, diarrhea (which may be bloody), nausea, vomiting and abdominal pain. In rare circumstances, infection with Salmonella can result in the organism getting into the bloodstream and producing more severe illnesses such as arterial infections (i.e., infected aneurysms), endocarditis and arthritis. For more information on Salmonella, please visit the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention's Web site at www.cdc.gov (or call 1-800-232-4636).
The products were distributed nationwide, in Canada, Japan and the UK through retail stores.
The following products are being recalled:
- Ass Kickin’ Honey Roasted Peanuts in both 12 oz cans and 1 oz bags; item numbers AK744 and AK763
- AK744 UPC code 089382113300
- Lot #’s 23304 , 26207, 30207, 30307, 34807, 05008, 08608, 13408, 21408, 27408, 01309
- AK763 – Best Before Dates: 092809, 121409, 121709, 052710, 081110, 081310, 111909
- Ass Kickin' Chipotle Honey Peanuts in both 12 oz cans and 1 oz bags; item numbers AK767 and AK772
- AK767 UPC code 089382 115465
- Lot #’s 18307, 18407, 32507, 00808, 08508, 27708, 01409
- AK772 – Best Before Dates: 031010, 033110, 070710, 100310, 010711
No illnesses have been reported to date in connection to the above products.
Southwest Specialty Food Inc requests that customers who have purchased either of these Honey Peanut Products destroy them or return them for a full refund. If you have any questions you can call (800) 536-3131 Mon-Fri 8:00 am – 5:00 pm.