Recall -- Firm Press Release
FDA posts press releases and other notices of recalls and market withdrawals from the firms involved as a service to consumers, the media, and other interested parties. FDA does not endorse either the product or the company.
Sherm's Thunderbird Market, Inc. Recalls Bulk Peanuts and Bulk Peanut Butter (Ground in Store at Self-Serve Machine) Because of Possible Health Risk
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE -- March 9, 2009 -- Sherm's Thunderbird Market, Inc. of Medford Oregon is recalling Bulk Peanuts and Bulk Peanut Butter because they have the potential to be contaminated with Salmonella. The products were manufactured using peanuts/peanut products recalled by Peanut Corporation of America because they may be contaminated with Salmonella. Salmonella is an organism which can cause serious and sometimes fatal infections in young children, frail or elderly people, and others with weakened immune systems. Healthy persons infected with Salmonella often experience fever, diarrhea (which may be bloody), nausea, vomiting and abdominal pain. In rare circumstances, infection with Salmonella can result in the organism getting into the bloodstream and producing more severe illnesses such as arterial infections (i.e., infected aneurysms), endocarditis and arthritis.
The Bulk Peanuts and Bulk Peanut Butter were distributed in Oregon at our Sherm’s Thunderbird Market stores in Klamath Falls and Roseburg, and at our Sherm’s Food 4 Less store in Medford.
The affected products have no specific expiration dates or UPC codes and are as follows:
- Sherm’s in Klamath Falls – Bulk Peanut Butter - Bin # 2101 plastic containers up to 2 pounds. Recall is for product purchased between January 23, 2007 and February 15, 2009
- Sherm’s in Roseburg – Bulk Peanut Butter – Bin # 900 plastic containers up to 1 pound. Recall is for product purchased between March 27, 2007 and February 22, 2009.
- Sherm’s in Medford – Bulk Peanut Butter – Bin # 3000 plastic container up to 1 pound. Recall is for product purchased between January 16, 2007 and February 22, 2009.
- Bulk Peanut Butter – Bin # 3001 plastic container up to 2 pounds. Recall is for product purchased between January 16, 2007 and February 22, 2009.
- Bulk Split Dry Roasted No Salt Peanuts – Bin # 459. Recall is for product purchased between January 12, 2007 and February 15, 2008.
No known illnesses have been reported to date in connection with these products. The recall was initiated after it was determined that the peanut product received from GloryBee Foods was manufactured by Peanut Corporation of America. Sherm’s Thunderbird Market, Inc. has informed the FDA of its actions and is fully cooperating with the Agency.
Consumers who have purchased any of the products listed above are urged to return it to the place of purchase for a full refund. Consumers with questions may contact the company at 1-541-857-0850 and ask for Sharee Wenzel, Monday through Friday, 9:00AM to 4:00 PM (PDT).