Recall -- Firm Press Release
FDA posts press releases and other notices of recalls and market withdrawals from the firms involved as a service to consumers, the media, and other interested parties. FDA does not endorse either the product or the company.
Market of Choice Initiates Voluntary Recall Due to Possible Health Risk
541-345-0566, Ext. 121, Monday through Friday, 7 a.m. to 4 p.m. (PDT)
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE -- March 17, 2009––Market of Choice of Eugene, Ore. is voluntarily recalling several products in response to the recall of peanuts manufactured by Peanut Corporation of America (PCA), because the peanuts may have been contaminated with Salmonella at PCA's Georgia and Texas facilities.
Salmonella is an organism that can cause serious and sometimes fatal infections, particularly in young children, the frail or elderly, and persons with weakened immune systems. Healthy persons infected with Salmonella often experience fever, diarrhea (which may be bloody), nausea, vomiting and/or abdominal pain. In rare circumstances, infection with Salmonella can result in the organism getting into the bloodstream and producing more severe illnesses, such as arterial infections (i.e. infected aneurysms), endocarditis, and arthritis.
The following products were distributed by Market of Choice Stores in Eugene, West Linn, Ashland and Portland in the self-serve bulk section of the retail stores between Jan. 1, 2007 and Feb. 13, 2009 and do not have UPC codes:
- Glory Bee Foods Conventional Peanut Splits, Honey Roasted -- Bulk Bin No. 8434, labeled "Honey Roasted Peanuts"
- Glory Bee Foods Organic Peanut Splits, Dry Roasted, No Salt -- Bulk Bin No. 98944, labeled "Organic Dry Roasted, No Salt Peanuts"
- Glory Bee Foods Organic Peanut Splits, No Salt -- Bulk Bin No. 98426, labeled "No Salt Peanuts"
- Glory Bee Foods Peanut Splits, Dry Roasted, No Salt -- Bulk Bin No. 8426, labeled "Dry Roasted, No Salt Peanuts"
- Glory Bee Foods Peanuts, Granulated, Dry Roasted, Medium -- Bulk Bin No. 9066, labeled "Granulated, Dry Roasted, Medium Peanuts"
- Glory Bee Foods Peanuts, Raw Redskins -- Bulk Bin No. 8076, labeled "Raw Redskin Peanuts"
- Aunt Patty’s Organic Cascade Trail Mix -- Bulk Bin No. 9005, labeled "Organic Cascade Trail Mix"
- Aunt Patty’s Mt. Hood Trail Mix -- Bulk Bin No. 8101, labeled "Mt. Hood Trail Mix"
- Bulk self-grind peanut butter made from above peanuts -- Bin No. 98944, 98426
The following products, made by Market of Choice and available in the kitchen/deli, may have contained one or more of the above recalled products between Jan. 1, 2007 and Feb. 13, 2009:
- Kung Pao Tofu Salad -- UPC: 212601603362, various size containers
- Spicy Peanut Chicken Yakisoba Salad -- UPC: 212621003364, various size containers
- Pad Tai Salad -- UPC: 212522003630, various size containers
Market of Choice proactively and voluntarily removed these products when it became aware of the potential for contamination on Feb. 13, 2009. Beginning March 2, 2009 these bins were sanitized and filled with items not affected by the current nationwide recalls.
No known illnesses have been reported to date in connection with these products, according to Glory Bee Foods. Inc. For more information about salmonella, visit the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention’s website at www.cdc.gov. Market of Choice has informed FDA of its actions.
At Market of Choice, we take the safety of customers and the integrity of our products very seriously. Anyone who purchased the recalled products can return them to Market of Choice for a full refund. Customers with questions should contact Glory Bee Foods, Inc. at 1-800-456-7923. Hours are Monday through Friday, 9:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. (PDT).