Recall -- Firm Press Release
FDA posts press releases and other notices of recalls and market withdrawals from the firms involved as a service to consumers, the media, and other interested parties. FDA does not endorse either the product or the company.
Landies Candies Co. Inc Announces Voluntary Recall of Select Peanut Butter Filled Chocolates Due to Possible Health Risk
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE -- Buffalo NY, January 21, 2009 – Landies Candies today announced a voluntary recall of select chocolate products containing peanut butter because the products have the potential to be contaminated with Salmonella.
Salmonella is an organism, which can cause serious and sometimes fatal infections in young children, frail or elderly people, and others with weakened immune systems. Healthy persons infected with Salmonella often experience fever, diarrhea (which may be bloody), nausea, vomiting and abdominal pain. In rare circumstances, infection with Salmonella can result in the organism getting into the bloodstream and producing more severe illnesses such as arterial infections (i.e. infected aneurysms), endocarditis and arthritis. For more information on Salmonella, please visit the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention’s Website at http://www.cdc.gov .
Landies Candies is recalling chocolate products containing peanut butter, which has been recalled by PCA. As a result of the investigation, PCA has recalled numerous lots of suspect peanut butter and peanut paste. PCA is one of Landies’ peanut butter suppliers.
The products below have been distributed within New York, Pennsylvania, New Jersey, Maryland and Virginia:
- Landies Premium Milk Chocolate Peanut Butter Cups 11 oz. bags, sold at Wilson Farms stores UPC 013065502167 lot # 345
- Wegmans Swiss Recipe Ultimate Peanut Butter Cups 8 oz. tubs, UPC 77890 12946, lot # 273
- Wegmans Swiss Recipe Medium Chocolate Holiday Platter 23 oz., UPC 77890 15526, sold between 10-31-08 and 1-21-09
- Wegmans Swiss Recipe Large Chocolate Holiday Platter 51 oz., UPC 77890 15529, sold between 10-31-08 and 1-21-09
- Wegmans Swiss Recipe Large Chocolate Holiday Platter with Sponge Candy 49 oz., UPC 77890 15530, sold between 10-31-08 and 1-21-09
- Wegmans Swiss Recipe Ultimate Peanut Butter Cups, also available at Wegmans in bulk food bins and in random weight packages, Bin # 79966, sold between 10-31-08 and 1-21-09
FDA is aware of the Landies Candies recall.
The company has not received any consumer illness complaints about these products.
“Landies Candies apologizes for any inconvenience to our customers,” said Lawrence R. Szrama, president. “Landies Candies’ product quality and consumer safety have been our top priority for over 23 years and our decision today reflects that tradition.”
Consumers who have purchased the recalled product should return it to the store where it was purchased for a full refund.
For questions about the Landies brand product sold at Wilson Farm stores, consumers should contact Landies Candies Consumer Affairs Department at 1-800-834-8212, Monday through Friday, 8 a.m. to 3 p.m. EST.
For questions about the Wegmans brand products, consumers should contact Wegmans Consumer Affairs Department at 1-800-WEGMANS, ext. 4760, Monday through Friday, 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. EST.