Recall -- Firm Press Release
FDA posts press releases and other notices of recalls and market withdrawals from the firms involved as a service to consumers, the media, and other interested parties. FDA does not endorse either the product or the company.
Kings Super Markets Issues a Voluntary Recall of Kings Branded and Bulk Peanut Products
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE -- February 9, 2009 -- Kings Super Markets, Parsippany, NJ is recalling the following items because they contain peanuts that have the potential to be contaminated with salmonella.
This action was taken as a result of the recently expanded recall by Peanut Corporation of America (PCA) to include all peanut ingredients produced in their Blakely, Georgia facility, in turn affecting Kings Super Markets’ suppliers for bulk peanut products.
None of the recalled Kings Super Markets products have been directly linked to the salmonella outbreak, and there have been no illnesses reported.
Salmonella is an organism which can cause serious and sometimes fatal infections in young children, frail or elderly people, and others with weakened immune systems. Healthy persons infected with Salmonella often experience fever, diarrhea (which may be bloody), nausea, vomiting and abdominal pain. In rare circumstances, infection with Salmonella can result in the organism getting into the bloodstream and producing more severe illnesses such as arterial infections (i.e., infected aneurysms), endocarditis and arthritis.
The following Kings branded items sold in New Jersey and New York stores are:
- UPC 7386640055 (purchased before February 1, 2009) Kings Naturally Mixed Nuts NS 9 oz. Deli Cup
- UPC 7386640054 (purchased before February 1, 2009) Kings Naturally Mixed Nuts Salted 9 oz. Deli Cup
- UPC 71930390282 Label Codes 3089, 0095 Kings Cranberry Mix 20 oz. Deli Cup
- UPC 71930390277 Label Codes 3089, 0095 Kings Oriental Mix 16 oz. Deli Cup
- UPC 71930390525 Label Codes 3082, 3484 Kings Far East Spicy Mix 6.5 oz. Deli Cup
- UPC 71930390560 Label Codes 3082, 0095 Kings Trail Mix 9.5 oz. Deli Cup
The following recalled bulk items sold by the pound from self-service bulk bins in the New Jersey stores of Morristown, Verona, Bernardsville, Short Hills, West Caldwell, Berkeley Heights, Whitehouse Station:
- PLU 7253 Gourmet Mix from July 2008 - January 30, 2009
- PLU 7256 Pack a Snack Mix from July 2008 - January 30, 2009
- PLU 7255Oriental Mix from July 2008 - January 30, 2009
- PLU 7257 Pot of Gold from July 2008 - January 30, 2009
- PLU 7210 Bridge Mix from July 2008 - January 30, 2009
- PLU 7228 Dark/milk chocolate mixed nuts from July 2008 - January 30, 2009
Customers are encouraged to return any of these products to Kings Super Markets for a full refund. Consumer with questions should call 800-325-4647.