Recall -- Firm Press Release
FDA posts press releases and other notices of recalls and market withdrawals from the firms involved as a service to consumers, the media, and other interested parties. FDA does not endorse either the product or the company.
Kellogg Company Announces Voluntary Nationwide Recall of Austin® and Keebler® Branded Peanut Butter Sandwich Crackers and Select Snack-Size Packs of Famous Amos® And Keebler® Soft Batch Peanut Butter Cookies Because of Possible Health Risk
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE -- BATTLE CREEK, Mich. -- January 16, 2009 -- Kellogg Company today announced a voluntary recall of certain Austin® and Keebler® branded Peanut Butter Sandwich Crackers and select snack-size packs of Famous Amos® Peanut Butter Cookies and Keebler® Soft Batch Homestyle Peanut Butter Cookies because the products have the potential to be contaminated with Salmonella. No other products are involved in this recall.
On January 14, Kellogg announced a precautionary hold on the sandwich crackers while FDA and other authorities investigated Peanut Corporation of America (PCA), one of Kellogg's peanut paste suppliers for these crackers. PCA has expanded their earlier recall to include peanut paste and peanut butter, prompting Kellogg to immediately announce this recall and to include the above- mentioned cookie and cracker products.
"The actions we are taking today are in keeping with our more than 100-year commitment to providing consumers with safe, high-quality products," said David Mackay, president and CEO, Kellogg Company. "We apologize for this unfortunate situation."
Salmonella is an organism which can cause serious and sometimes fatal infections in young children, frail or elderly people, and others with weakened immune systems. Healthy persons infected with Salmonella often experience fever, diarrhea (which may be bloody), nausea, vomiting and abdominal pain. In rare circumstances, infection with Salmonella can result in the organism getting into the bloodstream and producing more severe illnesses such as arterial infections (i.e., infected aneurysms), endocarditis and arthritis. For more information on Salmonella, please visit the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention's Website at http://www.cdc.gov.
Consumers who have purchased the recalled products are urged to destroy the product. Consumers with questions or who would like a refund may contact the Kellogg Consumer Response Center at 877-869-5633. Consumers with questions or concerns about their health should contact their doctor.
Products impacted by the recall were produced on or after July 1, 2008, including:
- Austin® Quality Foods Cheese Crackers with Peanut Butter - all sizes
- Austin® Quality Foods Cheese & Peanut ButterSandwich Crackers – all sizes
- Austin® Quality Foods Mega Stuffed Cheese Crackers with Peanut Butter – all sizes
- Austin® Quality Foods PB & J Cracker Sandwiches – all sizes
- Austin® Quality FoodsSuper Snack Pack Sandwich Crackers
- Austin® Quality Foods Chocolate Peanut Butter Sandwich Crackers – all sizes
- Austin® Quality Foods Toasty Crackers with Peanut Butter – all sizes
- Austin® Quality Foods Reduced Fat Cheese & Peanut Butter Sandwich Crackers
- Austin® Quality Foods Reduced Fat Toasty Crackers with Peanut Butter Sandwich Crackers
- Austin® Quality FoodsCookie/Cracker Pack
- Austin® Quality FoodsVariety Pack
- Keebler® Cheese & Peanut Butter Sandwich Crackers – all sizes
- Keebler® Toast & PB'n J Flavored Sandwich Crackers – all sizes
- Keebler® Toast & Peanut Butter Sandwich Crackers – all sizes
- Famous Amos® Peanut Butter Cookies (2- and 3-ounce)
- Keebler® Soft Batch Homestyle Peanut Butter Cookies (2.5-ounce)
Firm Release (January 14, 2009)