Recall -- Firm Press Release
FDA posts press releases and other notices of recalls and market withdrawals from the firms involved as a service to consumers, the media, and other interested parties. FDA does not endorse either the product or the company.
Harry and David Recalls Nut Clusters and Pretzel Rods Due to Expanded Recall By Peanut Corporation of America
Mr. Bill Ihle EVP, Corporate Relations
541 864-2145 (Media Calls Only)
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE -- February 4, 2009 -- Harry and David, of Medford, Oregon, is voluntarily recalling five Harry & David branded nut cluster products and a Harry & David branded pretzel rod product because they have the potential to be contaminated with Salmonella. These products may have been manufactured using peanuts/peanut products being recalled by Peanut Corporation of America (PCA) because they have the potential to be contaminated with Salmonella.
Salmonella is an organism that can cause serious and sometimes fatal infections in young children, frail and elderly people and others with weakened immune systems. Healthy persons infected with Salmonella often experience fever, diarrhea (which may be bloody), nausea, vomiting and abdominal pain. In rare circumstances, infection with Salmonella can result in the organism getting into the bloodstream and producing more severe illnesses such as arterial infections (i.e., infected aneruysms), endocarditis and arthritis. For more information on salmonella, please visit the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention web-site at www.cdc.gov.
Peanut Corporation of America is one of the suppliers of peanut ingredients to the company’s contracted manufacturer. The nut clusters were supplied to Harry and David by Cherrydale Manufacturing LLC (aka Bartons Confectioners). The pretzel rods were supplied by Affy Tapple.
The following nut cluster candies, all lots, are subject to this recall:
- Dark Chocolate Clusters The Ultimate Walnut Cherry Caramel Indulgence candies in green and cream striped, 6 oz. paperboard boxes (260), UPC 780994730687.
- Dark Chocolate Clusters The Ultimate Peanut & Peanut Butter Indulgence candies in red and cream striped, 6 oz. paperboard boxes (275), UPC 780994730663.
- Dark Chocolate Clusters The Ultimate Pecan Cranberry Caramel Indulgence candies in dark red and cream striped, 6 oz. paperboard boxes (270), UPC 780994730670.
- Whole Almond Confection candies in brown and white striped, 6 oz. paperboard boxes (595), UPC 780994730700.
- Whole Cashew Confection candies in dark red and cream striped, 6 oz. paperboard boxes (575). UPC 780994730717.
The last sales of the nut clusters occurred in early April of 2007.
The following pretzel rods are subject to this recall:
- Pretzel Rods, with best if used by dates 1/31/08 and 1/31/09, are subject to this recall. The product consists of 4 chocolate coated pretzel rod products. The pretzel rods are dipped in chocolate and have the following toppings: two with red, green and white candy toppings, one with green striping and one with red striping; in a clear acetate 9 oz. box with red paperboard ends and a red ribbon, (35,600 boxes affected). The product has the following codes: SKU number 919098 and UPC 7 80994 66995 6.
Affected products were distributed throughout the United States under the Harry & David brand only in Harry and David stores.
There have been no illnesses or injuries reported to date affiliated with these products. Anyone concerned about an illness/injury should contact a physician immediately. Harry and David has informed FDA of its actions and is fully cooperating with the Agency.
Consumers with either product may return it to any Harry and David retail store for a full refund. Consumers with questions about the recalled product may phone the Harry and David Customer Service division at 800-233-1101, 24 hours a day.
Contact for regulatory officials: Charlene Harwood, Food Safety Manager, 541-864-2928.