Recall -- Firm Press Release
FDA posts press releases and other notices of recalls and market withdrawals from the firms involved as a service to consumers, the media, and other interested parties. FDA does not endorse either the product or the company.
Farley's and Sathers Candy Company, Inc. Expands Voluntary Nationwide Recall of Select Peanut Items
Michelle Graber, Public Relations
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE -- Round Lake, MN – February 9, 2009 –As a result of the expansion of Peanut Corporation of America's (PCA), Blakely, Georgia facility, recall to include all peanut ingredients produced since January 1, 2007, Farley's & Sathers Candy Company, Inc. has issued a voluntary nationwide recall for products containing PCA supplied peanuts. Farley's & Sathers Candy Company has identified additional items that may contain or may have come into contact with peanuts sourced from PCA and is recalling these additional items, in addition to the items listed in the first recall notice issued on February 3, 2009, for the safety of consumers. This PCA facililty is the subject of an U.S. Food and Drug Administration investigation into potential Salmonella contamination of peanut butter, peanut paste, and whole peanuts.
The following items distributed by Farley's & Sathers Candy Company, Inc. contain peanuts supplied by PCA:
- Brach's® Double Dippers Chocolate Peanuts; Bulk containing pack code digits 9236LY8329, 9226L, 9237L, 9238L; with UPC 1130004701
- Brach's® Chocolate Peanut Clusters; 7 oz Plastic Peg Bag; containing pack codes beginning 9229L, 9230L, 9232L;with UPC 1130074706.
- Brach's® Double Dippers Chocolate Peanuts; 14 oz Plastic Laydown Bag; containing pack codes 9237 LY8330, 9238LY8331, 9238LZ8331; with UPC 1130031701.
- Brach's® Double Dippers Chocolate Peanuts; 3.5 oz Plastic Peg Bag; containing pack codes 9237LX8330, 9237LY8330; with UPC 1130057701.
- Brach's® Double Dippers Chocolate Peanuts; 7 oz Plastic Peg Bag; containing pack codes 9226LY8319, 9237LZ8330, 9237LZ8338; with UPC 1130074701.
- Farley's® Chocolate Double Dipped Peanuts; 6.5 oz Plastic Peg Bag; containing pack codes 9243C, 9252C, 9258R, 9266R; with UPC 7309350666, 7309360666.
- Sathers® 2/$1 Chocolate Peanuts; 1.5 oz Paper Header Label Peg Bag; containing pack codes 9236C, 9257RX0601; with UPC 7560207001.
- Publix Chocolate Double Dipped Peanuts; 7 oz Plastic Peg Bag; containing pack codes 9252C, 9261C, 9273C; with UPC 4141500116.
The package code is stamped on the back of the package in the lower left corner. The UPC is located on under the scan bars on the lower right corner of the package. Case codes for bulk product are located on the side of box next to the product description and UPC.
Consumers who purchased the recalled items should discontinue use immediately and return items to the store location where they were purchased or destroy the product.
No other Farley's & Sathers Candy Company, Inc. products are part of this recall. No illnesses have been reported to date in connection with these items. The items listed may contain or came into contact with peanuts that were supplied by the Peanut Corporation of America and have the potential to be contaminated with Salmonella, an organism which can cause serious and sometimes fatal infections in young children, frail or elderly people, and others with weakened immune systems. Healthy persons infected with Salmonella often experience fever, diarrhea (which may be bloody), nausea, vomiting and abdominal pain. In rare circumstances, infection with Salmonella can result in the organism getting into the bloodstream and producing more severe illnesses such as arterial infections (i.e., infected aneurysms), endocarditis and arthritis. For more information on Salmonella, please visit the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention's website at http://www.cdc.gov.
Consumer safety is important to Farley's & Sathers. Farley's & Sathers Candy Company, Inc. is working with the FDA and has issued this voluntary recall as a precautionary measure. For additional information, please contact Farley's & Sathers Candy Company, Inc. at 1-888-247-9855 between 8 A.M. and 5 P.M. Monday through Friday, Central time.
For a list of various company recalls and more information on FDA's ongoing investigation, visit FDA's website at www.fda.gov.