Recall -- Firm Press Release
FDA posts press releases and other notices of recalls and market withdrawals from the firms involved as a service to consumers, the media, and other interested parties. FDA does not endorse either the product or the company.
Deluxe Ice Cream Co., A Subsidary Of Mattehorn Group Inc., Recalls All Labels Of Tin Roof Sundae, Goo Goo Cluster, Candy Bar Half Gallon Packaged Ice Cream Product, Because Of Possible Health Risk
1-888-264-0898 8am to 5pm PST
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE -- February 10, 2009 -- Deluxe Ice Cream Company of Salem, Oregon is recalling the following: Tin Roof Sundae, Goo Goo Cluster, and Candy Bar half gallon packaged ice cream products manufactured using peanuts/peanut products recalled by Peanut Corporation of America because it has the potential to be contaminated with Salmonella. Salmonella is an organism which can cause serious and sometimes fatal infections in young children, frail or elderly people, and others with weakened immune systems. Healthy persons infected with Salmonella often experience fever, diarrhea (which may be bloody), nausea, vomiting and abdominal pain. In rare circumstances, infection with Salmonella can result in the organism getting into the bloodstream and producing more severe illnesses such as arterial infections (i.e., infected aneurysms), endocarditis and arthritis.
Products being recalled are half gallon (64 fl oz) Tin Roof Sundae, Goo Goo Cluster, and Candy Bar packaged ice cream with lot codes from 8212 to 9028. The lot code on half gallon (64 fl oz) packages can be found in the upper left corner adjacent to the nutritional panel.
Products have been distributed in California, Idaho, Nevada, Oregon, and Washington states through retail stores.
The labels include:
- 64 fl oz square, Deluxe Ice Cream Tin Roof Sundae, UPC: 70078-27561
- 64 fl oz square, Deluxe Ice Cream Goo Goo cluster, UPC: 70078-28371
- 64 fl oz square, Deluxe Ice Cream Candy Bar, UPC: 70078-24481
- 64 fl oz square, Deluxe Ice Cream Slim and Trim Tin Roof Sundae, UPC: 70078-40207
- 64 fl oz square, Country Classic Tin roof Sundae, UPC: 70078-29475
- 64 fl oz square, Western Family Tin Roof Sundae, UPC: 15400-21024
- 64 fl oz square, Western Family Goo Goo Cluster, UPC: 15400-21020
- 64 fl oz square, IGA Tin Roof Sundae, UPC: 04127-09001
- 64 fl oz square, Flav-o-rite Tin roof Sundae, UPC: 04113-00004
No known illnesses have been reported to date in connection with any of these products. The recall was initiated after it was determined that the peanuts supplied to Gertrude Hawk for their production of chocolate covered peanuts were manufactured using peanuts from Peanut Corporation of America’s Blakely facility. Deluxe Ice Cream has informed FDA of its actions and is fully cooperating with the Agency.
Consumers who have affected products should discard them or are urged to return it to the place of purchase for a full refund. Consumers with questions may contact the company at 1-888-264-0898 8am to 5pm PST, or email: email@example.com