Recall -- Firm Press Release
FDA posts press releases and other notices of recalls and market withdrawals from the firms involved as a service to consumers, the media, and other interested parties. FDA does not endorse either the product or the company.
Aspen Hills, Inc. Announces Voluntary Product Recall of Certain Cookie Dough Products
Aspen Hills, Inc.
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE -- Garner, IA, January 22, 2009 – Aspen Hills, Inc. is announcing a voluntary recall of certain cookie dough products because the dough may have the potential to be contaminated with Salmonella. The recalled cookie dough contains peanut butter supplied by Peanut Corporation of America, which is the subject of the ongoing investigation concerning the recent Salmonella outbreaks. Neither Aspen Hills nor its customers have received any reports of illness connected to any of these products.
Salmonella is an organism which can cause serious and sometimes fatal infections in young children, frail or elderly people, and others with weakened immune systems. Healthy persons infected with Salmonella often experience fever, diarrhea (which may be bloody), nausea, vomiting and abdominal pain. In rare circumstances, infection with Salmonella can result in the organism getting into the bloodstream and producing more severe illnesses such as arterial infections (i.e., infected aneurysms), endocarditis and arthritis.
The company has already notified all of its customers who have received the products in question and directed them to remove the affected products from their distribution. The products are sold nationwide in 3 lb. pails, and 3 lb. corrugated boxes to distributors who are involved in fund raising.
The following products with the codes listed below are subject to this recall. No other products are impacted.
- Baker Jo's Peanut Butter, Peanut Butter Chocolate Chunk, and Monster 3 lb. pails – Date codes: 08273, 08281
- Ovens of Ashley Monster 3 lb. pails – Date code: 08273
- Gourmet Cookie Dough Peanut Butter, and Peanut Butter Chocolate Chunk 3 lb. pails – Date code: 08273
- Gigi's Peanut Butter 3 lb. pail – Date code: 08281 Gigi's Peanut Butter 3 lb. corrugated box – Date code: 08277
- Arizona Gold Peanut Butter, and I love Peanut Butter 3 lb. pails – Date code: 08281
- ABC Dough Peanut Butter 3 lb. pails – Date codes: 08261, 08263, 08268, 08277, 08288, 08297
This immediate voluntary action is being taken out of Aspen Hills' commitment to provide high quality products, always placing the health and safety of its consumers as its first priority. Consumers should dispose of the product listed above. Consumers with questions regarding this recall may contact 888-273-0302.