Recall -- Firm Press Release
FDA posts press releases and other notices of recalls and market withdrawals from the firms involved as a service to consumers, the media, and other interested parties. FDA does not endorse either the product or the company.
A Manufacturer From England, "Cropwell Bishop Creamery Limited," is Conducting a Nationwide Recall on the Cheese Products Blue Stilton and Shropshire Blue Cheese Because of Possible Health Risk
(201) 508-6426 (for all Ilchester or Global Cheese Market products)
(513) 751-4490 (for all Trader Joe’s or Cropwell Bishop Creamery products)
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE -- January 26, 2009 -- Cropwell Bishop Creamery Limited of England is recalling in the United States limited amounts of Blue Stilton and Shropshire Blue Cheese, as described below, as a precautionary measure because they have the potential to be contaminated with Listeria monocytogenes, an organism which can cause serious and sometimes fatal infections in young children, frail or elderly people, and others with weakened immune systems. Although healthy individuals may suffer only short-term symptoms such as high fever, severe headache, stiffness, nausea, abdominal pain and diarrhea, Listeria infection can cause miscarriages and still births among pregnant women.
The recalled product was distributed nationwide in retail stores.
This recall is limited to the following Blue Stilton and Shropshire Blue Cheese Products:
- Ilchester Shropshire Blue, 12 oz, lot 3052822700- exp date: 2/10/09
- Ilchester Shropshire Blue, 7 to 9 oz, lot 3052828700- exp date: 4/19/09
- Ilchester Shropshire Blue, 1/8 lb, lot 3052835200- exp date: 4/27/09
- Ilchester Shropshire Blue, 1/16 lb, lot 3375821700- exp date: julian code 8217
- Ilchester BabyBlue Stilton, 2/5 lb,lot 3375834000, 3375829500-exp date:julian code 8340,8295
- Ilchester Blue Stilton, 1/8 lb, lot 3375828400- exp date: julian code 8284
- Ilchester Blue Stilton, 2/9 lb, lot 3375828400, 3375821700, 3375833300, 3375829400, 3375827800, 3375824500, 3357816400- exp date: julian code 8284, 8217, 8333 , 8294, 8278, 8245, 8164
- Ilchester Blue Stilton, 1/9 lb, lot 3375833600, 3375829400, 3375824500, 3758162000, 3375825200- exp date: julian code 8336, 8294, 8245, 8162, 8252
- Ilchester Blue Stilton, 1/16 lb, lot 3375825400- exp date: julian code 8254
- Ilchester Blue Stilton, 18/1 lb, lot 3052829500, 3052830800 exp date: 4/19/09, 5/2/09
- Ilchester Blue Silton, 6/3.5 oz crock, lot 2216832300, exp date: 3/26/09
- Global Cheese Market Stilton, 7 to 9 oz, lot 714568, 714720, exp date: 3/22/09, 3/29/09
- Global Cheese Market Stilton, 1/5 lb, lot 713939, 715973, 716368 exp date: 3/9/09, 5/3/09, 5/17/09
- Trader Joe’s Blue Stilton purchased on or before 12/31/08. Film-wrapped.
- Trader Joe’s Shropshire Blue Cheese purchased on or before 1/4/09. Film-wrapped.
- Cropwell Bishop Creamery Blue Stilton purchased on or before 12/31/08
- Cropwell Bishop Creamery Shropshire Blue Cheese purchased on or before 12/31/08.
The potential for contamination was noted after recent testing of the cheese. The cause of the potential problem has already been corrected. No other products other than those identified above are affected by this recall.
There have been no complaints received and no illnesses reported in the United States. The U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) is aware of this recall.
Consumers who have purchased the products identified above are urged to destroy all recalled products on hand, and then obtain a full refund payment by contacting the following customer representatives:
- (201) 508-6426 (for all Ilchester or Global Cheese Market products identified above) 9:00 am – 5:00 pm EST
- (513) 751-4490 (for all Trader Joe’s or Cropwell Bishop Creamery products identified above) 9:00 am – 5:00 pm EST